Lexicon PCM 90 Hookup

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Lexicon PCM 90 Hookup

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Alrod Alrod 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Alrod
    Alrod
    Participant

Based on the following from the Lexicon PCM 90 manual, what is the best way to hookup the unit to the QU-16?

“If you will be using a PCM 90 as your primary effects unit, and your system includes a console with one or more auxiliary (effects) sends, connect the PCM 90 as shown above. In most applications, it is preferable to connect the PCM 90 outputs to two of the console’s input channel strips, panned full left and right, rather than to the effects returns. This allows the greatest flexibility in routing and equalization.”

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

Pick a spare mix from mix1-10 on the Qu. Run cable(s) from the output of this mix to the input(s) of the PCM90. Run cables from the output(s) of the PCM90 into either 2x spare mono channels(1-16) on the Qu, or one of the 3x StIns on the Qu. Then it’s just a matter of setting levels.

Profile photo of Alrod
    Alrod
    Participant

Great, thanks! Thats exactly how i did it. Just wanted to be sure.

Profile photo of Barryjam
    Barryjam
    Participant

Alrod,

I’ve owned a pcm-90 in the past, and I have the qu-16 now. I’m curious about your using both together. Do you find the pcm-90 to have better basic effects than the qu, or do you want additional effects in your mix, more real time editing, or what?

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Just make sure you have the mix control on the PCM set to full wet otherwise the effect will be less.

Profile photo of Alrod
    Alrod
    Participant

Barry,
    At this point, my opinion is that the PCM 90 reverbs are better. I have only had the QU-16 for about a week so only time will tell if digging into the SMR will give me better results. Compared to the PCM 90, they sound a bit thin. The PCM has much smoother tails as well. The same goes for the Delays, I prefer my TC Electronics D-Two for the same reasons. I also like the Lexicon PCM Native as well as the Relab LX480 plugins (I use them extensively for recording).

Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love the QU-16. The workflow is amazingly easy to learn and adjust to. I can’t say enough good things about it! Perhaps future updates will include better effects algorithms? Or even better yet, maybe the QU-16 will allow 3rd party plugins 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.