levels randomly changing?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting levels randomly changing?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Claribella
    Claribella
    Participant

Im new to all this in ear stuff and technology is not my forte so forgive me in advance:)

Our church have just started using this but on a regular basis I will set my levels and then they will change. Ive had times where Ive got up to sing and play after practice and I cant hear the drummer or keys. Sometimes it’ll change mid set and sometimes I have loads of something and I look on my screen and everything is on 0 so I cant even adjust the sound. I know that we’ve had issues with someone not being on the right channel so thats affected some else but is it possible that the sound desk adjustments could affect what we hear? Any help is really, really appreciated 🙂

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

Is your setup using aux mixes or MEs? If aux mixes, are they being remote controlled via iPad/phone apps or strictly from the SQ surface?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Also if your using aux mixes for monitors are they set to “pre fade”?
    There are other options as to where the signal gets picks off from with in the
    channel strip, pre / post EQ, pre / post comp, pre post / delay but to start
    with double check that the aux mix is set to pre fade.

If it is set to post fade any level changes made to the main mix will also change
    the levels in the aux monitor mix.

Something you can’t really control is if someone adjust the input channel gain
    that will change the level on everything associated with that channel, mains
    and monitors.
    Well you can control that but it would require splitting the channels, one for mains
    and one for monitors, we won’t go there now.

Claribella
    Participant

Thanks for the replies. I have to be honest that they both go over my head in terms of technical complexity, but I think the gist of it is that the people on the sound desk CAN affect the monitor levels I’ve set during sound check on my app. Is there anything specific I should suggest to the team to overcome this? I was under the impression that the beauty of this system was that each musician could set their levels just as they wanted them (which we do at the start) but if things keep changing it seems to defeat the object. Thank you

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Thanks for the replies. I have to be honest that they both go over my head in terms of technical complexity, but I think the gist of it is that the people on the sound desk CAN affect the monitor levels I’ve set during sound check on my app. Is there anything specific I should suggest to the team to overcome this? I was under the impression that the beauty of this system was that each musician could set their levels just as they wanted them (which we do at the start) but if things keep changing it seems to defeat the object. Thank you

if done right it’s a very good way for monitors
    but if done wrong (a person does the setup with no idea what to do) it could be a nightmare

my advice would be talk to your sound team to contact this forum
    and don’t do it by yourself
    like transmit every information you don’t understand to the persons responsible for the sound having no clue what you’re talking about

that will fail

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

A quick test to see if your monitor aux send is pre or post fade would be to pick an input channel that is in your monitor mix that has an input signal on it, go to the
    mixer and with the mixer in the main LR mix mode/layer change the level on that channel
    and see if it changes in you mix.

If it does that aux is set for post fade.

It may help to mute the main LR house master so all you hear will be you monitor.

Claribella
    Participant

Thanks everyone! Appreciate your help:0)

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Going into the routing menus to check and change routing modes is the most detailed way about it, and now that you have been into settings the signal flow of the board will make more sense and be easier to change and adapt as needed.

Now the quick way to check and or change channel assignments to a mix, including the main LR mix and check and or change pre or post fade settings is to select the mix you want to check and then on the middle left hand side of the mixer there is a assign and pre button, holding down the assign button will light all the channel select buttons on channels that are assigned to the mix that is selected, holding the assign button and hitting the channel select button will assign or un-assign that channel from the selected
    mix.
    Same with the pre button, holding that down will will show all the channels that are prefade on the selected mix, the channel select button will go between pre and post fade.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.