Latency added with stagebox

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Latency added with stagebox

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ioTon ioTon 4 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Sebastien
    Sebastien
    Participant

Hi ,
    I’ve been searching in the sq section of the forum but found nothing about the latency added using stageboxes.

So, what is the latency we would expect if I connect an AB168, or a DX168, ar2412 etc …
    Is there a chart showing this ?

Or is the desk automatically compensate the latency with audio connected on local inputs vs stagebox inputs ?

(For now I use the sq5 with a traditional 30 meters multicore patch 24/8)

Thanks !

Best regards

Sebastien
    Participant

I found a small answer within dsnake specs, it’s like 105μs , a lot better than where I came from with behr and their sd stagebox’s 0.7 ms latency
    So it remains the differences between the 96khz of DX168 and let’s say an AR2412 48khz, regarding latency Analog IN-OUT …

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

The A>D conversion takes time so adds latency. Whether that happens in the desk or 100m away in a stage box should make no difference.

So any difference will be to do with what’s in the box itself.

Profile photo of Jens-Droessler
    Jens-Droessler
    Participant

Pushing several realtime audio channels thru a basically serial connection like dSnake or DX will of course add latency to the whole system, unless you want each channel to have a separate latency and thus not being in sync with other channels.

Sebastien
    Participant

Thank you, so do you know how much latency the stage will add ?

Profile photo of JTRJAMMER
    JTRJAMMER
    Participant

According to Allen and Heath here:
    <a href=”https://www.allen-heath.com/media/DX-gigaACE-white-paper-1.pdf

States the DX protocol is running 32×32 channels over 100 Base-TX Fast Ethernet with a latency of 83us (microseconds). 1 millisecond = 0.001 microseconds, so 83us = 0.083 milliseconds.
    Ad that to the SQ’s stated .7ms (Milliseconds) + 0.0083ms = .783ms, so even rounding up your at .8ms latency. Someone please check my math, but I think this is accurate based on
    Allen and Heath spec’s they’ve provided.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

only thing you mixed up is 1 ms = 1000us, I guess you would explain that 1us = 0.001ms
    the rest looks pretty good

Profile photo of JTRJAMMER
    JTRJAMMER
    Participant

Dopf! Corrected copy….
    According to Allen and Heath here:
    https://www.allen-heath.com/media/DX-gigaACE-white-paper-1.pdf

States the DX protocol is running 32×32 channels over 100 Base-TX Fast Ethernet with a latency of 83us (microseconds). 1 microsecond = 0.001 milliseconds, so 83us = 0.083 milliseconds.
    Ad that to the SQ’s stated .7ms (Milliseconds) + 0.083ms = .783ms, so even rounding up your at .8ms latency.

Sebastien
    Participant

😆
    Thanks for the math (and spec’s)

Profile photo of ioTon
    ioTon
    Participant

Hi,
    this is my result:

Analog Insert Latency (average) ?

greetings,
    dd

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.