Last bits of help needed to complete Analog to digital switch

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Last bits of help needed to complete Analog to digital switch

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of leaflet leaflet 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of leaflet
    leaflet
    Participant

Hi everyone!

Short time reader, first time poster.

I’m nearing the completion of a full transition to a recording setup (primarily synthesizer and DAW) that is using the Qu-24 mixer as the centerpiece.

Here are my current toys that i’m using. Essentially, I’ve routed the synths through a patchbay, with each patchbay synth out going to an input on the Qu. I’ve also routed synths through the patchbay as BACK out —> FX in —> FX out —> Qu channel in. Preamp is set to be strictly an insert for individual synths to the desk in for that synth channel. I’ll probably need a few more Preamps at some point 🙂 :

5x mono synths
    3x stereo synth
    1x preamp (insert)
    3x mono external FX units, analog (distortion, delay pedal, stage echo)
    1x stereo external FX, analog
    1x 24 I/O Samson patchbay (normal, half-normal, thru configurable)
    Qu-24 Digital Mixer
    Ableton Live 10
    RME Fireface UCX Interface

This setup is pretty straightforward to me. The patchbay allows me to route the preamp and FX as inserts swiftly.

I have a few questions that I haven’t had a chance to test because it already took a few days of youtube tutorials and trial/error to get to this point.

Something worth noting is that I currently have the RME UCX as my audio interface.

1. I’ve experimented with sending groups of synth channel Ins to the Mix Output on the Qu, to the FX channels on the mixer, and back into the Qu as a return. I’m wondering if there’s a more efficient way to do this without causing latency when I record the group FX, or if this is the best way to do it (Group and Matrix outs don’t have mono capability grrr).

I guess generally what have been people’s experiences using the MixOut as FX sends and Channel ins as returns?

2. What would be people’s suggestion around sending audio from Ableton to the Qu, to take advantage of the external FX? The two ways I can think of are:
    a. sending audio from the RME interface into the Patchbay (or directly into the Qu while we’re thinking of all the options), and routing the audio through FX the same as a synth in). This would allow me to keep the RME as the main interface, which is how I have set it up today.

b. via USB-B into a channel on the Qu and repeating the above process in the description to send to FX.

3. Since I currently have Mixouts as sends for external FX, what would be the best audio capture scheme? Should i route everything through the RME as the interface, or configure the Qu to be the primary audio interface for Ableton? The reason I ask is because I would like to capture individual mix or group outs for recording purposes simultaneously, and I have a feeling it’s probably easier and more time-accurate do that through the Qu, but I can’t be sure haha.

Any and all help would be appreciated!!

-leaflet

Profile photo of leaflet
    leaflet
    Participant

bump

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.