Labels that follow the Preamp

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive feature suggestions Labels that follow the Preamp

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dave Dave 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VOLCANOJEFF
    VOLCANOJEFF
    Participant

Would like the option to name a pre-amp and that name follow the preamp no matter the input processing strip it is assigned to. So if I use socket 1 to feed multiple processing channels the title would could follow the socket and be assigned easily to the multiple processing strips. May be there and I have not found it.

Thanks for listening……

Jeff

Profile photo of Frank
    Frank
    Participant

I have thought about this, too. I often configure the board to mix monitors from FOH by splitting each input to two channels for FOH and monitors, respectively. I keep the corresponding channels offset by 40 to make it easier to keep track of (the input that feeds ch 3 for FOH feeds ch 43 for monitors, for example). But I still need to label the corresponding channels individually. It would be quite useful for me when adding and naming an input that the same name would automatically appear on all channels fed from that input. I know which instance of the input I’m controlling through bank assignment and color code. The color code should continue to be associated with the channel and persist across name changes.

There would be times when this is not desirable, so it would need to be a mode. (And I don’t take additional modes lightly.)

–Frank

Profile photo of Jens-Droessler
    Jens-Droessler
    Participant

Yes, that’s a good idea. A physical or logical input source should be nameable and this name should be shown on any channel using that source in addition to the channels name on screen and optionally on the channels display and of course in the list where you select the channels input source. That would be really helpful and it can’t be that hard to implement.

Profile photo of Loloverde
    Loloverde
    Participant

Howdy

But always with a suffix like “M”. Nothing worse than two channels with exactly the same name.

bye
    Rainer

Jens-Droessler
    Participant

Loloverde, I don’t get your concern. Aren’t we talking about naming the physical input in addition to the DSP channel? So you can see what’s connected to that input even if you decide to switch it all around and don’t only see like “DM32 Input 3” but “DM32 Input 3 Hihat”. How would that be confusing with DSP channel names. How I envision this feature you wouldn’t even see them at the same time on the channel displays (only by switching the voew to the new option) and they’d be only visible on the screen when selecting the preamp page, where said “DM32 Input 3” is visible now.

Profile photo of Loloverde
    Loloverde
    Participant

Hi Jens

Jeff is talking about the preamp, Frank about the channels. So we are both right. Or wrong 😉

bye
    Rainer

Jens-Droessler
    Participant

Why would we need a second name for the channel?

Profile photo of Jay
    Jay
    Participant

Why? It depends on how far they take it.

Look at it as labels on sources, not just preamps.

– Preamps would have manual labels
    – Dante can pick up from the Dante network (See Yamaha)
    – Let tie lines flow through the source name
    – ME-* pulls source name, this would give it names when not a direct out from a channel
    – Allow labeling of slot mappings (Waves, MADI) and storage of labels by slot into a library

Then let input labels (or channel/mix) flow through to outputs. They do on ME-*, let it flow to tie lines & Dante.

Jay

Jens-Droessler
    Participant

Jay, if I say preamps, I really mean sources (I said physical inputs actually). I just don’t see any sense in giving the DSP channels a second set of names. Of course Dante sources, AES sources and so on should be named as the preamps should be, but in the end all off them run thru the preamp section to get to the DSP channel, right?

Profile photo of VOLCANOJEFF
    VOLCANOJEFF
    Participant

To expand on my thoughts a bit,

The physical preamp currently is labled by just a value, alphabetic/numeric. That feeds to almost all lines, either Dante, Gita-ace or other. And it is not editable. Make it a custom label that could feed those other lines. I often use a single socket to feed multiple DSP channel strips, Dante, or other lines that could benefit from not having to relabel throughout. Time could be saved and the confusion of conversion could go away if I could just change to the I/o labels instead of the DSP channel strip labels..

Thanks for listening.

Jens-Droessler
    Participant

Volcanojeff, that’s what I was talking about as well. Maybe even two buttons in the preamp section on screen to allow to copy the name from DSP to input and vice versa (should be edited afterwards of course).

Profile photo of tmdarlan
    tmdarlan
    Participant

id use this in an install to label pre amps by stage box. instead of preamp 27 its stage box B7 which matches what is actually in the stage. pulling from dante is nice too.

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Yeah, that’d be amazingly handy… No need to figure out what MixRack input corresponds to which stage pocket input… Instead of “MixRack Local Inputs $number” (where $number is 1-64 in the case of a DM64), it’d be, at least in my case, “MixRack Local Input $pocket-$number” (where $pocket is A-I and $number is 1-6). I don’t know how much difference it’d make on tours, but for a lot of venues that’s just how patching works and it’d be great to not have to go through an interim lookup table to figure out where “B2” actually shows up on the MixRack.

Similarly, it’d be nice to be able to assign names/IDs to DX boxes and tie inputs to the box instead of the DX slot. We’re planning on dropping a DX168 on our drum riser, and its position on stage can change from week to week. Being able to tie the kick drum channel to the “Drum Riser-1” socket regardless of which DX port it’s plugged into would be great (we don’t have the hardware in hand yet, so I can’t verify that this currently can’t be done, but I’ve seen zero indication that it’s possible).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.