KLANG integration

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive feature suggestions KLANG integration

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Brian Brian 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Sigri
    Sigri
    Participant

All a girl wants is a flyable desk with KLANG integration.

Profile photo of RuneS
    RuneS
    Participant

I think they will have a hard time wrestling KLANG integration out of the hands of their brothers and sisters at DiGiCo…but as long as we are asking, we might as well ask for a dLive-KLANG card just like the DMI-KLANG.

Klang integration would also be a good incentive to improve the surround panner in dLive.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

A Klang card for A&H would be great. I don’t really feel that the two companies are competing with each other with their console lineup (other than perhaps the Digico S series and the Avantis), but I suspect a A&H Klang expansion card would sell very well. But you are right that politics probably plays the largest role in that decision making process.

Profile photo of Mathias Thunbo
    Mathias Thunbo
    Participant

I would also really love to see a Klang expansion card. Hoping!

Profile photo of anotherone
    anotherone
    Participant

+1!

Profile photo of Jamie
    Jamie
    Participant

You would think that this would be possible considering they are all three under Audiotonix. Would really be neat to see.

Profile photo of Tatsuya Nakamura
    Tatsuya Nakamura
    Participant

+1

dLive/Avantis Card!

Profile photo of Joe
    Joe
    Participant

What advantages would there be with a KLANG card instead of a Dante card?
    I’m thinking about switching to a KLANG:vokal personel monitoring system.
    Is there an incompatibility with a DLive Dante card that I already have?

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

What advantages would there be with a KLANG card instead of a Dante card?
    I’m thinking about switching to a KLANG:vokal personel monitoring system.
    Is there an incompatibility with a DLive Dante card that I already have?

You can utilize the Klang Vokal with an A&H system by using Dante. But the Klang Vokal only offers up to 12 stereo mixes from a max of 24 inputs. The Klang DMI card offers up to 16 stereo mixes from a max of 64 inputs.
    Depending on the needs of the user, a Vokal may not be powerful enough.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

I should clarify that with the Vokal, each musician can select any 24 inputs they want to use from a larger set of up to 64 inputs. Different musicians can select different inputs to mix from, but each musician has a max of 24 inputs to mix from. You can also add additional Vokal devices to increase the number of monitor outputs. For example, with two Vokal units you would have up to 24 stereo monitor mixes available (each still limited to the max 24 out of 64 inputs however). Honestly it is powerful enough for a lot of situations. Compared to the Vokal device, an A&H Klang card would likely have more monitor mixes, more mixable inputs, and not require a Dante card to be compatible with the A&H system.

Profile photo of Joe
    Joe
    Participant

The Vokal overview states:
    * 12 immersive In-Ear mixes
    * 24 Mono or Stereo Inputs, chosen per Mix from up to 64 Mono Inputs

Are you saying that with a Dante card I can’t select any more than 24 inputs per mix?
    12 seperate mixes is just enough.
    24 channels is also enough which may include some stereo sources that would overflow 24 total inputs. But, it sounds like I can’t do that?

Profile photo of Joe
    Joe
    Participant

I’m second-guessing what KLANG defines as an “input”. My statement above was implying that a stereo input uses 2 input signals.
    In other words, I think that one vokal device should be capable of patching up to 48 Dante channels (24 stereo) to be assignable to 24 stereo inputs of any of the 12 vokal mixes. Is that correct?

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

With Vokal, you can send up to 64 mono inputs (meaning a stereo source is going to use 2 mono inputs) into the system via Dante or Madi. Once those 64 inputs are in the system, each musician (up to 12 total) can select any 24 mono/stereo channels to actively mix in the IEM. In other words, a stereo source only counts as 1 of the 24 available channels for musicians to actively mix even though it requires 2 of the 64 mono inputs. Keep in mind that each musician’s selection of 24 channels is completely independent from others – they can have the same channels as the other 11 separate IEM mixes or have different channels, or a combination with some overlapping and some not overlapping.

Again, it seems that at the “musician level” a stereo source only counts as 1/24 channels, but would use 2/64 “system level” inputs. If every input source was stereo, you could have a max of 32 stereo channels (using all 64 mono inputs) and each musician could select any 24 of the 32 available stereo inputs to actively mix in their IEM.

The other thing to keep in mind is that you are free to send stems/groups to the Vokal system too. If you mix all your drums into a drum group at the console and send that stereo drum group to the Vokal system, your musicians can select that drum group which would only use up 1 of their 24 channels to mix. You might also send the individual drum inputs to the Vokal system too (using up more of the 64 inputs). This way your drummer could have the individual drum channels available for his IEM (using up a lot of their 24 mixes, but probably leaving enough to still have enough capacity to mix everything else they need (bass, guitar, lead vocal, click, etc), but everyone else could select the drum group and only use up 1 of their 24 channels leaving more capacity to mix what they need (all vocals, all the melody/pitch instruments, etc).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.