Just Speculating NAMM.

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions Just Speculating NAMM.

This topic contains 25 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GCumbee GCumbee 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Among the many things I do is TV broadcast audio. Been using GLD for that. Because it has no control room section I have to use IEM out to drive monitor speakers. I have to carry and outboard dual 1/3 octave EQ to tune the monitors to the room. Just would be nice to eliminate the extra hardware. With GEQ on everything else it would have been nice to have it there also.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Are you using that as a way to listen to the mix but also have solo in place? What is the function normally provided by control room outputs?

I think the issue is that the WEDGE and IEM strips don’t actually carry audio, they just dictate which socket a channel or mix will PFL to. Kind of like how DCA’s control fader level, but they control PFL routing.

If you’ve got any buses free, say a stereo group, you could take a short XLR cable and go out of IEM, back into a socket, bring that into the group via the Ext.In, then feed the monitors from the group. You’d add a bit of latency but I don’t know if it would matter, maybe route it via Dante if you’re using it to save on the converter latency.

Chris

Profile photo of datadat
    datadat
    Participant

It might just be a “beefed up” X32, but the “M” company just announced a new board/system (M32) that looks like pretty big GLD and possibly iLive competition. I’m loyal to and love my iLive system but she’s starting to look a little long in the tooth. :>(

Hoping for developments in 2014.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Yeah this one could be a problem for us. I have beaten off some x32 folks but with Midas on the badge it will add some street cred. Will have to see how AH handles it.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Chris. Would they not carry audio? Otherwise. Where are they deriving their source? A DCA dies not spit out audio but they do. To answer your question yes, like the headphone mix. 2mix plus solo. Like a control room out on analog consoles.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

I can’t see the “Midas” badge being taken too seriously. It’s obviously an upgraded X32 designed to look like a CL3. Even the FX rack units say “behringer” on them, and the GUI is taken straight from the X32.

It’s as if they’ve said “yeah, we know it’s obviously a Behringer, but we’re going to write “Midas” on it anyway and maybe we’ll sell some to people who want a nice badge.”

If it comes with Midas-level customer service it might be significant.

Chris

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

“Where are they deriving their source? A DCA dies not spit out audio but they do.”

The GLD will let you PAFL a DCA. Obviously a DCA doesn’t carry any audio but the console lets you do it anyway, it just replicates doing an additive PAFL on everything assigned that’s assigned to it. I think Wedge and IEM do a similar sort of trick, they don’t carry audio but they behave like they do by just temporarily routing the PAFL bus to a different output socket depending on which mix you’re listening to.

I might be wrong, but this would certainly make sense.

Chris

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

“like the headphone mix. 2mix plus solo”

Doesn’t the PAFL bus do this by default anyway? In setup > Audio > PAFL you can set the “Mains to PAFL” levels so that you’ll hear the LR bus if nothing is solo’d. That doesn’t help with the GEQ issue, but I’m still unsure what you’re achieving by using the Wedge output.

Chris

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

A level control.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

If you’ve got two spare channels, go out of PAFL, out of the console, and back into two channels. Gang them, and route post fade direct outs to your control room monitors.

Chris

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Not sure I want to complicate it that much. Works well this way except for not having EQ.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.