Just a one-year warranty?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Just a one-year warranty?

Tagged: , , ,

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Gogos Gogos 3 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of RonB
    RonB
    Participant

I am considering purchasing an SQ 6 or 7. I probably have to go with a 7 since we currently use all 14 AUX outputs on our current board, so I need 16 output and no plans yet for the stage box.
    I was looking at an M32 and I know that’s only 48k sampling and this is 96k among other things.
    But I was taken aback a bit by only a 1 year warranty. But if I buy thru Sweetwater, they will add a year.
    But it just seems strange that a higher end company like AH would only have a one-year warranty.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

How many years should it be?
    life –

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

If one had a pretty bad reputation (deserved or not) for reliability they may feel the need to offer longer warranty than one that has a good reputation ?

Leaving warranties aside, all of the SQ desks have a maximum of 12 aux busses, although they all can be stereo. So if you need 14 separate mixes you probably need to look at another desk – Avantis maybe.

Profile photo of RonB
    RonB
    Participant

How long would I like the warranty? I think the X32 has 3 years and M32 has 10 years. I’d say even 3 years would be a nice number.

As for the AUX busses. If it will do 12 stereo, all of ours are mono. So we use half as many Shure IEM transmitters as we have receiver packs.
    I’m already stretching it at $5k. If I can’t do what I want with the SQ series, I will just go with a Midas M32.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

The warranty is different in other countries
    in Germany it’s two years by default…

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

With the M32 you will get 16 mono mixbusses to use them as fx mixbusses, subgroups or aux mixes. Usually four of that mixbusses areassigned to effects, reverbs or delays, so, if you want mor than the remaining 12 mixbusses for aux mixes you have to reduce the amount of fx busses. And if you then, later, want to use stereo IEM you willhave a problem with the M32. But there is an option to use a second M32, like the M32C, to extend the aux mixes in a more or less inexpensive way. This is something you cannot do with the SQ series, unfortunately.
    Some words about waranty. In my opinion the waranty should help customers to be save when there are some issues during the manufacturing or with some components of the device. These issues usually occur during the first months of usage or at the end of the lifetime of the device several years after purchase. So, for me it is ok when there is a one year waranty available.

Profile photo of JeroenAudio
    JeroenAudio
    Participant

@mfk0815 if you need additional aux mixes you can do the same trick with SQ if you want: connect a second SQ via tie-lines and create additional aux mixes on that second console.

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

That is not so simple as on the X/M32 platform. There you have on each console two AES50 ports (compareable to the SLink port on the SQ). So it is possible to use stageboxes and a connection to a second mixer out of the box. On the SQ you have to give up any other extension card, like Waves or Dante, to add a second SLink port. And the M32C is more ore less a simple DSP extension with almost no physical IO, which makes it inexpensive compared to the smalles SQ model at the moment, not to mention the smaller physical footprint of the M32C.

Profile photo of JeroenAudio
    JeroenAudio
    Participant

Took a look at “that other company” and the way one can connect the two mixers and indeed it looks good. Would be great if A&H could come up with a M32C-like SQ mixer. But there is already a separate topic on that on this forum.

Regarding warranty: I bought mine here in the Netherlands/Europe with a warranty of three years. It really depends on your laws in your country and what your supplier offers on top of that.

Profile photo of Gogos
    Gogos
    Participant

If you buy in the right shop here in Germany, you get 3 years warranty not 2 !…. 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.