Issue with volume recording

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Issue with volume recording

This topic contains 25 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Bob Bob 4 years ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mad4It!!!
    Mad4It!!!
    Participant

Hi New here when try and record straight to a usb stick and then play back gets no volume although it seemed to indicate there was some

Any tips thank you in advance

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Hi New here when try and record straight to a usb stick and then play back gets no volume although it seemed to indicate there was some

Did you format the USB stick in the mixer using the format function?

When you say it indicated there was “volume” was that during the recording or on playback?

Have you set up the QU Drive to play back to the ST3 input?

If not that is in the pre amp input patch screen, you can get to that by selecting any input pre amp screen and then hit the function button.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@Mad4It!!!

What/Where said there was ‘volume’ ?
    How did it say that?

Have you put in into a DAW to check the signal you recorded and see what the level is and that you actually recorded?

Set the playback to ST3 and adjust as necessary to get the volume you want.

Profile photo of Bob
    Bob
    Participant

I am the new owner of the QU-16 (new to the digital world, too) and I have just now started to record and playback, e-mail wav file attachments, etc. My problem is the same as the originator of this post, Relapse808: when I playback the take from the stick still plugged into the board, the volume is the same as the live recorded volume in the room. When I pull the stick and insert and play it on my laptop, the volume comes out very low, so low that I have to max out all the settings that may effect volume just to reasonably hear it. I read the posts about routing to a matrix mix, etc. The QU-16 does not have the matrix functions. I was thinking there should be some kind of gain control to the record function but there isn’t. But then, that would make the playback from the board way too loud anyway, I suppose. any ideas anybody?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

GAIN STRUCTURE

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I am the new owner of the QU-16 (new to the digital world, too) and I have just now started to record and playback, e-mail wav file attachments, etc. My problem is the same as the originator of this post, Relapse808: when I playback the take from the stick still plugged into the board, the volume is the same as the live recorded volume in the room. When I pull the stick and insert and play it on my laptop, the volume comes out very low, so low that I have to max out all the settings that may effect volume just to reasonably hear it. I read the posts about routing to a matrix mix, etc. The QU-16 does not have the matrix functions. I was thinking there should be some kind of gain control to the record function but there isn’t. But then, that would make the playback from the board way too loud anyway, I suppose. any ideas anybody?

Where are running the main output level master fader at, the physical position?
    What levels on the meter do you show for the main output?

In the IO patch you could set the USB to be L R Pre, that sends the signal to the USB record before the master fader level.

For the Qu16 to get complete independent level control to the USB recording you would need to use one of the mixes and route that mix to the USB in the IO set up.
    Set that mix to be post fade, maybe post all channel processing, set all the mix sends to the unity position.
    Use the master level of that mix to control the record level, you can also apply processing to the recording and have the ability to create a somewhat custom mix for the recording.

volounteer
    Participant

@bob

It is typical to need to use your DAW to raise the level so you hear it louder there.

The Qu has 18dBFS headroom above the ‘0’ light.
    If you are allowing more headroom based on the lights then you might need 20-30dB or more gain in the DAW.

Profile photo of Bob
    Bob
    Participant

Thank You. I do not yet have a DAW program on my computer and have never used one. Any recommendations for the easiest to use?

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

Almost all the commercial DAWs have free or low cost “noob” versions. Try each one until you find one you like.

volounteer
    Participant

@bob

easiest to use is audacity and it is free.

check the list on wikipedia for all and then free DAWs.
    Then look at reviews as well as compare the features to what you need.

I suggest you use cakewalk nee sonar if you need more than audacity can do.
    also free.

for doing what you first posted audacity should be able to more than do the job for you.

Profile photo of Bob
    Bob
    Participant

Thank You

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.