Issue with understanding FX return routing

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Issue with understanding FX return routing

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MichaelStelz MichaelStelz 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MichaelStelz
    MichaelStelz
    Participant

Hi folks!

I’ve read the Qu 16 manual and a lot of topics in this really helpful forum. Unfortunately there is still something I don’t get.
    I’m quite new to FOH mixing and I mainly use the Qu Pad iPad app.

When I choose the FX layer on the left side, it shows me FX 1 & 2 Sends and FX 1-4 Returns for each output (LR, FX 1 Send, FX 2 Send, Mix 1-10).

1st question:

Why do I have a Pre Fader button on the FX Returns when selecting Mix 1-10? What’s the difference between having Pre on or off? (Attachment 1)
    Let’s say Mix 1 goes to the singers monitor on stage and he likes to have some reverb on his voice. The FX 1 Send level is at unity and settings are Mix->Return, Input=FX 1, All Channels Post-Fade, Channel Source: Post All. The FX 1 Return on Mix 1 is ON and level is up.

2nd question:

In the Qu Pad app I select FX on the left and FX1/2 Send on the right. Why are there individual FX 1-4 Returns showing up for each FX Send? Aren’t they creating a feedback loop? (Attachment 2)

I hope someone can explain it to me. Many thanks for taking your time to read this post!

Greets,
    Michael

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

1. – You probably want the effects going to the monitors to be post fade, so that when you alter the level going to L&R, this is also reflected in the monitors. e.g. If the singer talks between songs, you don’t want an echo on that. That said, if they use IEM, then they may want a little reverb always in the monitor, so pre fade may be better then.

2. – I believe that by default (if you load the “reset” scene), each effect’s send back to itself would be turned off, whereas your picture shows it on. You’re right that a feedback loop could be created this way, so best left turned off.

MichaelStelz
    Participant

Awesome! Thank you very much!

MichaelStelz
    Participant

You’re right that a feedback loop could be created this way, so best left turned off.

Can anybody figure out a situation where this comes in handy? I still struggling to find a use case for it 😅🤷🏻‍♂️

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

You’re right that a feedback loop could be created this way, so best left turned off.

Can anybody figure out a situation where this comes in handy? I still struggling to find a use case for it

Yes you can create a nasty feedback loop by by sending an FX return back into the same FX input send, but patching allows for it if you want to patch in series multiple FX units, say a reverb in to a delay and then the final FX in the chain gets assigned to the main mix.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Can anybody figure out a situation where this comes in handy? I still struggling to find a use case for it 😅🤷🏻‍♂️

for example if you want define your own feedback value for delay…

but you have to be careful

MichaelStelz
    Participant

Thanks!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.