Is this possible: Control two dSnake input levels from a single channel strip?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Is this possible: Control two dSnake input levels from a single channel strip?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Alex A&H Alex A&H 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of arretx
    arretx
    Participant

If I’m approaching this the wrong way, let me know.

We have two congregational mics pointing out from the stage which are intended only for in-ear monitoring. Each is connected to a dSnake input. I could link the control of both channels on our QU32, but what I’m interested in knowing is whether or not I can merge the inputs through routing the audio so they are both controlled by a single fader, thereby freeing up a fader. Although, I guess if you’re eating up an input on the snake, it’s probably assumed that you’re eating up an input on the console too.

I think I can see some potential problems with this, but I’m just curious if it’s possible.

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

I would just buy a simple 2 input passive mixer you plug the mics into at the stage, then plug the mixer into the stage box. 2 mics, 1 fader.

Profile photo of JohnK
    JohnK
    Participant

It’s considered a No-No, but you could consider just connecting them with a Y-connector (2-XLRF to 1-XLRM) to one input channel on the dSnake and see if there are any adverse effects.

I’ve been running this way with two pairs of choir condensers mics, with phantom power active, for close to ten years now, with no audio or equipment issues. The specific mics you use might make a difference here (I am using Behringer C2s in this particular set of inputs, and their impedance is close enough that everything sounds balanced).

— John

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Arretx,

You could assign the two dSnake inputs to an ST channel. You’d then have both microphones on one stereo channel, leaving the mono channels for other tasks.

This is configured in Setup > IO Patch > dSnake In.

Thanks!
    Alex

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.