Is SQ midi controllable without a computer?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Is SQ midi controllable without a computer?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Randahl Randahl 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Randahl
    Randahl
    Participant

We are considering an SQ5 in the band, but I would like to select scenes using a midi controller *without* bringing a laptop to the venue. I understand that you can connect the SQ to a Mac using USB or ethernet, but can you also send midi events directly between a midi controller (such as a keyboard) and the SQ? Or do you need a computer between the keyboard and the mixer in order to have the SQ switch scenes when I select a preset on my keyboard?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Midi over ethernet works without computer as well
    you need something to convert the messages to normal midi

Profile photo of Randahl
    Randahl
    Participant

Interesting. So lets say my keyboard normally delivers MIDI to my computer via USB, and my computer is able to deliver MIDI to the SQ via midi over ethernet, then what you are saying is, theoretically something else could act as the midi converter instead of my computer. But what would that something be if not a computer?
    My issue is, if I can avoid it, I’d prefer not bringing an expensive laptop along just to act as a midi converter. I am actually surprised, Allen & Heath did not just include old school DIN midi sockets like all the Behringer and Midas mixers do. Most midi keyboards and guitar effect boards have them.
    What would be really cool is, if I could connect the USB midi socket from my keyboard directly to the SQ, but I do not thing I can, because both are a USB-B connectors, and I have never seen a USB-B to USB-B cable. These cables are always USB-B to USB-A, and I am guessing this is because one is not supposed to connect devices that way, but I am not sure.

SteffenR
    Participant

SteffenR
    Participant

https://www.bome.com

sorry was clicking to fast…

Profile photo of Randahl
    Randahl
    Participant

Great! Thanks Steffen.

Profile photo of Randahl
    Randahl
    Participant

I also found this device, does not support ethernet, but is also a bit cheaper.
    https://www.thomann.de/intl/kenton_midi_usb_host.htm

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.