is sign in required? always??

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting is sign in required? always??

This topic contains 17 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of volounteer volounteer 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

The MD is relatively new.
    We inherited an old system that he later upgraded to the Qu from an older bigger analog board.

The feedback issues have been fixed. It had more to do with mike preference and that standing wave.
    We are still trying to improve things some more as the RT60 is a bit long for sermons and hurts intelligibility.
    We now use the RF mike for the livestream and are using the podium mike for the audience until we can fix things more.
    Might also have to do with the preacherman liking the wedgies a bit louder than other orators:)
    That is why I had suggested a feature to provide SPL info at specific locations to the FOH operator.
    I trust measurement and meters not anybodys ears to tell me how loud something really is. Ditto for ‘quality’.

From what I see the dealer techs are very good.
    He has the pc and program and mikes etc to help ring the room out.

I know mic means mike but it still hurts my eyes to see mic in print.
    with the c in the word it should be spelled out as microphone.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

@Volounteer

I have been reading your posts along with your responses for a few months now which always amuse me in one way or another. In my opinion, you try to come across as the guy who knows his trade but in reality, doesn’t. Or at least, not as well as you would like to make out.

If anybody responds with a workaround or direct answer to your problem/s you immediately come back with an aggressive or at least a provocative response. Now I don’t claim to be an expert, I am far from it. I am a pro musician first and ad-hoc – part time sound man second who has gleaned the advice from the likes of Mike, Steffan, Mark and probably others too, I wouldn’t dream of challenging them even if I thought I was right and they were wrong. I would go away and try what they had suggested and if it didn’t work, would come back with another possible method to my issue/problem etc.

I do think a lot of your problems are user error with too many hands spoiling the broth. In some of the theatres I have done the sound in I wouldn’t even consider running it from the balcony or anywhere else other than on the main floor, even positioned at the side isn’t ideal but at least you can do a walk-around with an iPad. Like Mike has already said, I use an iPad often, probably more than using the desk if truth be known. Only time the iPad can become cumbersome is if you have a high channel count or need very fast changes in levels etc.

One person who knows what he is doing needs to take charge of the desk/sound and to tell the on stage musicians that playing overly loud isn’t cool or helpful and is a team sport, if they don’t want to comply ship them out and get some pro minded players in who know the drill.

You need to rip out all the antiquated equipment and start again and fit it all our properly and put some thought into where you want everything positioning for optimum efficiency and quality. The devil is in the detail…….

I have worked with engineers were one sound fits all and with others who really go that extra mile to get the best sound possible, on & off stage…..I know which guy I want driving the bus.

I think if you do a bit more listening and take charge at your church/venue and train up properly all those who will be using the desk, you may find things start to work more effectively without too many problems.

Just my two penneth…………

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@Lee7

Always nice to hear that I brightened your day.

I do not know everything, but I do know a lot more than oneeye and some others are willing to believe.

I appreciate all suggestions but I will assess them based on the facts of our situation which are often dismissed by the suggester but still are constraints on us.

The balcony is a given. Cost time and bureaucracy as well as space make it infeasible to move from there.
    Ripping things out and starting over is a pipedream that only works for ‘consultants’ telling others what to do.
    It works well enough for us. And I understand the Ipad suggestion. Our MD has it and has gone around like you suggest.
    Sometimes he even tweaks the board if he does not think we are doing it well enough for his ears.

The MD like loud for music and the only other person who could really dictate things would be the pastor and he stays out of everything unless it bothers him. Usually that is just saying to raise the gain because the audience is complaining they cant hear him.

Just what is good sound? Sound is subjective at least wrt parameters that too many golden eared folks think is ‘good’.
    One size fits nobody but perfection is not possible. Once sound is good you cannot make it better merely different. And who likes/hates that different will always be other groups depending on the change.

I am in no position to take charge or do anything nor to dictate what needs to be done. All I can do is make suggestions and try to use logic to implant the ideas in others who might do something.

Thanks for your insights. Keep those cards and letters coming folks.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.