Is PRIME worth it

Forums Forums Avantis Forums Avantis General Discussions Is PRIME worth it

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jonproaudio Jonproaudio 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jonproaudio
    Jonproaudio
    Participant

Hey yall,
    We are getting rid of our avid sc48 and replacing it with a Avantis. I am just wondering if getting the PRIME 32 bit input/output cards are worth it?
    Id do 1 dx32 with all inputs
    and another dx32 with all outputs (we have 8 stereo IEM, plus LR/subs)

vs getting 1 gx4816 plus 1 dx168

Profile photo of Jgrift
    Jgrift
    Participant

I have mixed with both. And I can say the Prime pre’s do sound amazing. The test I did had me swapping it with dlive pre’s (same as DX4816 from what I understand). All the musicians even commented they liked it better. Now all this is totally subjective.

I would say it’s only worth it if your entire signal chain will justify it. Putting that great signal into a bad PA or low end in-ears probably wont result in a transformative experience.

Mixing with them was much easier to me. Transients just hit that much better. Imaging is that much more clear. And that better input just made the whole chain feel like it had to work less. But no doubt that comes at a cost.

Jason

Profile photo of Jonproaudio
    Jonproaudio
    Participant

Thank you Jason! your words are much appreciated it and very wise.
    Our signal chain is pretty good. We have an l-acoustics A-series line array and most of our band is on custom UE ears. We are a church, so some of our band is volunteers but the paid people all have good ears.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.