Is one way communication with DAW possible?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu DAW integration Is one way communication with DAW possible?

This topic contains 27 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of volounteer volounteer 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of QUality
    QUality
    Participant

I don’t mean any offense to any of you guys out there who tried to help me but

Just because I said I am rather new to DAW thing, it does not mean I do not have any knowledge about it.
    Call me old school but I like to have things ready for every cases and every scenario possible.
    I’ve worked in many situations, learned and decided that I need to be prepared,
    because people will think and do all kinds of stuff to mess things up.

Yes I know you don’t HAVE TO HAVE a live monitor for digital mix on the computer
    Yes I know I can monitor these specific channels through QU
    Yes I know I can edit later
    Yes I know it is ok as long as it does not clip
    I totally know what you guys are trying to tell me
    I already know them
    But that’s not how I work
    Call me crazy, call me old school, you can call me whatever you want
    but I am a bit of a perfectionist myself, and I like to keep it that way.

I’ve already explained what I need to do
    It’s ok if it is not doable, just knowing it that it can’t be done on PC is ok as well
    or if there is a workaround like keith mentioned, it is good as well

It just seemed pretty straightforward that you need to be able to listen to what you are recording,
    Whether you
    I guess most of you are mixing and recording on your own,
    But things might be different in different world, if you didn’t already know that.
    Mixer and recording PC can be 50 feet apart from each other.
    Would you still tell the recording guy to monitor from the mixer?

For 20 years of being in this business,
    like I said above,
    You always have to have everything ready,
    You always need to have a backup
    Because things that you think it might happen will happen,
    and what you can’t even think of will happen as well.

But I am glad to find out
    that there are still good friends who are willing to help
    and this is not so easy to do with current system

and

@KeithJ A&H

Thank you for your feedback.
    Good to know how A&H put it’s philosophy into QU and understand the intensions on it.
    I already checked the knowledgebase before you replied,
    and I’ve been busy to checkout the workaround, but I sure will check them out.

Thanks guys

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

Hmm, maybe you should ask yourself why all those DAWs do not provide such a function as you want, recording multitrack from one device and listen the stereo mix from another. If this would be a highly demanded feature I am quite sure that some or all DAWs would support it. And I am also quite old school, I started multitrack recording with a Fostex B16. Also back in those days I used the recording mixer for both, the inputs and the returns, similar as I am doing it now with digital mixers and DAWs.
    It would also be nice to tell at least me the advantages of your approach. Why it should not work if you send back the DAW monitor to QU and pass it to the monitor system of the recording guy? Are you running out of channels/busses in that case? And what can this guy do if there is any problem observed by him? Can he for instance jump on the stage to adjust the misplaced microphone? And why this misplacing is not observed by the FOH guy?
    Don‘t get me wrong, I want to know more about your intentions because I love to learn new aspects of this job in any way.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

@quality

regarding your last post… hmm it is still the wrong place to ask this and to ignore the first advice is also not helpful

Profile photo of QUality
    QUality
    Participant

@SteffenR,

I am not ignoring any advises, I just want to be clear on that.
    I guess I was stressed but basically,
    What I wanted was pretty simple.

If this can be done, I wanted to know. if so, how it can be done.
    If this can’t be done, I wanted to know. if not, future possibilities.

You all helped me out on this and I am very grateful, and I want to say thanks for everything.
    No hard feelings and no offense to anyone.

But as this stuff gets deeper I couldn’t help getting this feeling
    That says ‘why do you HAVE TO HAVE that?’ ‘You don’t need that’
    and when it reached there, I was a little uncomfortable.
    Of course I could have misinterpreted the intention and I want to apologize if I did.

but to give a little more details on the facility that I am working,
    This particular facility is non government, non charity organization that seriously lacks financial support.
    QU 16 is probably the most recent and one of the most expensive equipment on this facility.
    Everything else is made up of donations, giveaways and so called put-together stuffs.
    and yet, there has to be a bilingual live show that requires 2 track recording as well as multitrack recording.

you might want to ask so many questions upto this point
    Let’s just say they lack of finances and staff members as well as time, full of workloads, and seriously lack of tech staffs, and let’s just leave it at that.
    They all have their own way of working things out, and me trying to explain things just doesn’t work.
    It also does not help that I am not the head of this facility to be able to say ‘let’s just do it my way’
    So I ended up coming up with all these crazy ideas and had to ask here for some help.
    Heck, I have one live show, and doing 4 different recordings on one show, with all junkyard equipment
    because everyone wanted things in slight different way.
    so yeah, it is not the tech problem, but it is a relationship problem I guess, in a way.

@mfk0815,

I hope this answers some of your curiosity on my situations.
    Not so skilled staffs with crappy machines with fancy ideas. No offense to them either,
    But I just have to be really precise, detailed, prepared in this facility
    so it was..

hope this helped us to understand better one another.
    thanks guys

PS> How to you red underline a specific user? I just copy the name and put @ and , but like you see above, it works sometimes and it doesn’t sometimes.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@quality

I know what I suggested works fine. I do it that way.
    It seems that your problem is really you not the gear.
    Everybody else seems to manage quite well without listening to your recording on the DAW while it is still recording and is yet still unedited. So why listen at all?? All you need is the visual meter to ensure it is not clipping and that you have some signal. Digital has such a humongous SNR you will still get a great recording at the end if you had one at the mikes.

SteffenR
    Participant

I guess I was stressed but basically,

that explains pretty everything 😉

PS> How to you red underline a specific user? I just copy the name and put @ and , but like you see above, it works sometimes and it doesn’t sometimes.

you have to use the real username and these are not always the same as the name showing up
    mine is @steffenromeiss and shows up as SteffenR

some more questions about your recording….

Do you have to do all the recording by yourself or is another person involved?
    Do you have access to an USB audio interface additional to the QU-16?

SteffenR
    Participant

@elleestbelle

that would be your real username

volounteer
    Participant

@SteffenR

and where did @elleestbelle come from?
    It links to @quality info page but does not appear there .

Profile photo of QUality
    QUality
    Participant

@SteffenR

to answer your question earlier,

Do you have to do all the recording by yourself or is another person involved?
    Do you have access to an USB audio interface additional to the QU-16?

I am doing the recordings by myself, and it’s pretty busy, so I would like to involve some other person.
    I think I mentioned above (maybe not) that this issue might not be technicality issue,
    but relationship / political issues between people and departments.
    There are so much more to say why I need to monitor this particular feed,
    but I will save it for everyone’s sake. hell, I don’t even want to think about it anymore either.

I have an old audio interface that is connected to pc for live stream.

All the equipment is old, donated, second hand, under spec, etc.
    As well as lack of professional knowledge of show staff members.

===============================================================

@volounteer

I know what I suggested works fine. I do it that way.
    It seems that your problem is really you not the gear.

===============================================================

I am giving up explaining. You can think whichever way you want.

Sound engineers tend to have fairly object point of view for everything because of the works they do.
    At least I tend to maintain that attitude as hard as I can.
    but I guess that’s not all true for some people.

You do it your way, and I’m sure it works fine for you. No harm for that.
    It just does not mean it has to work for everybody else.

The most you can do here is to advice, not dictate nor force.
    Things might work or might not work depending on situations,
    and there is no way to explain the whole situation here and there is no need for that.
    If your advice works, fine then.
    If not, oh well. Things could be different halfway around the globe.

volounteer
    Participant

@quality

I think you put the finger on your problem.
    It is political.

Maybe you could find an easier way to hear what those folks are saying.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@quality
    Well if this is any help.
    I have done this in the past.
    That is recording to a DAW [Reaper] from analogue in thrupough my QU32 out through USB B socket on rear [QU32} into an iMAC
    And can listen ‘EITHER’ to Desk PAFL sound OR the REAPER CHANNELS that are sent back through USB into channel 31/32
    I fader flip between Midi control of the faders and the QU level to PAFL.
    Dose that make sense?
    I’m sure you must be able to do that on a PC
    However maybe not all DAWs can do this? I am unsure as I have only used Reaper
    This video clip is about 3 years old and you might be able to ‘gleen’ some thing from it?
    Oh and the iPad are just extension screens
    ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeJxslnHcx8

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

@quality

Sound engineers tend to have fairly object point of view for everything because of the works they do.
    At least I tend to maintain that attitude as hard as I can.
    but I guess that’s not all true for some people.

What do you mean with that?
    let me resume it in my words what I understand with your initial posting
    You have an QU16 for live sound
    You want to record multiple tracks (more than 8 I guess) on a PC using Cakewalk
    The QU16 should exclusively used for the live sound
    Someone, who is not the technician of the live sound, will listen in realtime the signals which comes in to the computer but with a separate sound card (realtec stuff) during recording.
    you want to do that without extra costs, I guess.

from the technician object point of view I must confess that this is not possible now and in a more or less near future.
    Why?
    To record more than eight different signals on a PC you have to use the ASIO driver for the QU.
    Any known DAW can only use one sound card at one time. there is no DAW which can manage multiple soundcards on the PC using ASIO.
    Those two constraints are technical facts you have to respect.
    What can you do now?
    There are several possibilities to get a proper solution.
    1) Reduce the amount recorded tracks to max of eight and use ASIO4ALL as a virtual soundcard in your DAW. ASIO4ALL can handle multiple physical devices at the same time but with some disadvantages like the reduced number of channels from one device
    2) Don’t try to use two sound devices. route the monitor output of the DAW back to your QU16 and then from there to a monitor device for the one who wants to listen the recording input.
    3) use a different console, which can handle a network audio protocol like Dante, like an SQ. Then you can use the Dante Virtual Soundcard and Dante Via to solve your problem. Or you use a small two channel Dante to Analog device to convert the output signal of the DAW for monitoring.
    4) use an Mac and aggregate devices there for recording. As far as I know it is possible to use aggregate audio devices, two different physical devices as one logical, for the usage within the DAW.
    5) forget the idea of monitoring the inputs of the DAW and trust in god and the reliability of the technical stuff. This one would be the cheapest solution, but the one you will never accept, I guess.

But when you say

I think I mentioned above (maybe not) that this issue might not be technicality issue,
    but relationship / political issues between people and departments.

nobody here can help you with such a basic situation. It seems that in communities like yours hierarchical structures are really strong and if the person on top of this structure demands that the sky have to become yellow and green the same time instead of blue, everybody must do all possible and impossible to fulfill that requirement. I am lucky to not live in such a community and thank god every day for that.

volounteer
    Participant

@mfk0815
    @quality

We need to know what the REAL problem is.

Not discuss his point solution to whatever the unstated true problem is.
    And his problem sounds political not auditory related.

Unless he is mixing live sound in RT with the DAW and then sending it to the PA system he does NOT need to hear the sound on the PC while it is happening. And if he is doing that why have a Qu at all?

He can hear the sound on the Qu and even record that sound separately in addition to the DAW recording.

If he did not need RT output from the DAW then he can listen as he edits and adjust to taste then.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.