Is it safe to feed DSP Output back into dSnake?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Is it safe to feed DSP Output back into dSnake?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of arretx arretx 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of arretx
    arretx
    Participant

So, L/R Main is routed to dSnake 1/2 outputs. That feeds the DSP which then splits to 3 overheads and 2 subs.

Can bring the SUB feeds from the DSP back into one of the dSnake inputs and route it to the OTHER dSnake, which will be located outside, then connect the subs to THAT output so we don’t have to relocate the DSP or run two long speaker wires to the outdoor location? Rather, one ethernet cable….

Could I use Tie Lines to just route the signal from one dSnake input to the other dSnake output?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I’m going to say yes but be very careful about the gain structure and that you in no way
    can create a feedback loop.

Are you subs powered or passive, how long would the cable run need to be?

Profile photo of arretx
    arretx
    Participant

Yes, very careful. I was only able to do it by adding the sub output from the DSP to one of the inputs on the dSnake, then routing one of the Aux mixes to the output, making sure to keep the L/R Main fader at zero to prevent a loop.

It doesn’t seem ideal, but it will work for this situation.

The distance from the DSP to where the subs will be rolled to for the event is about 100’…and with that, I’m just going to wire up some 16/4 temporarily and run it straight out of the DSP to avoid any unwanted destruction.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

This is exactly the sort of thing that Tie Lines are for.

Route from one input socket to one output socket, set gain, and you don’t need to use a desk channel, or mix bus at all. That way there’s no danger of accidentally creating a loop or adding the sub signal to any mix. Even altering the gain would be virtually impossible to do unintentionally.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

As Mark said tie lines bypass the need to route the signal through any of the
    mixers processing or mixes.
    The way you routed will work but opens up the possibility for a feedback loop accident
    and it uses a mix out and input channel.

If your subs are powered as in the amplifier is built in the speaker running a 100 feet of balanced line audio cable is not a big deal as signal level and loss goes.

Since you want to use the output of the second D Snake box for the sub I’m guessing
    it’s a powered sub.

You mentioned running 16/4 from the DSP to the sub, 16/4 is what I would call speaker cable not for running line level audio unless your 16/4 reference is about a 16 channel
    with 4 return channels snake cable.

Are there power amps in the rack by the DSP and is that what powers the subwoofer?
    If that is the case a 100 foot 12 gauge speaker cable is not that long in the world
    of live sound production.

Profile photo of arretx
    arretx
    Participant

The subs are in fact powered, so I just need to get the signal to them, and since we’ll have one dSnake remaining inside, and the other being used in the outdoor area, it made sense to route it via the dSnake architecture to reduce the number of cables I have to make, or buy.

So, where I get stuck is how to route the tie lines. I’m not certain how to make, let’s say, dSnake input #9 re-route directly to the output #7 on the same dSnake. The Tieline routing screen all refers to slink…I’m wondering if this is purely an slink protocol function or if I can still make it happen.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.