Is It Possible to Route The LR Output Through The Monitor Mix Outputs

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Is It Possible to Route The LR Output Through The Monitor Mix Outputs

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of DrummerBoyPhil DrummerBoyPhil 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of DrummerBoyPhil
    DrummerBoyPhil
    Participant

As above, I want to send another signal to a central FOH output just to give the sound a bit more body and am working out the best way to do it?

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

You can’t route the main outs through a mix.

Probably you want TRS jacks from the ALT OUT sockets to do what you want. You can then choose from a fairly long list, exactly what you send.

Page 72 of the manual has more info.

Or if you have anything but the Qu-16, you have matrix outs, which can be fed from the main L+R

DrummerBoyPhil
    Participant

Thanks Mark, would it be post fader so absolutely the same the main outputs, I guess I would just send everything to it?

Would I need to covert the stereo signal to a mono signal before sending to a speaker?

The other option I’ve got is to make the FOH a mono mix and daisy chain of one of the powered speakers.

The manual I’ve been looking at is only 67 pages long,

https://www.allen-heath.com/media/Qu-Mixer-User-Guide-AP9372_4.pdf

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

What do you mean “give the sound more body”? How are you using the second output?

Are you sending the mix to a second room or PA?

Something about this sounds odd…

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

https://www.allen-heath.com/media/Qu-Mixer-Reference-Guide-AP9372_9.pdf

the monitor out is used for sending the PAFL signal to a monitor speaker set or IEM or an extarnal headphone amp
    if no PAFL is selected it carries the Main Mix

the Alt-Out carries a copy of the main mix on a level control pot too TRS plugs

DrummerBoyPhil
    Participant

Dick, I just want to add one of my monitors to the PA/FOH for more output/volume, (my band are performing in a large room tomorrow). i.e. send the mix of the output channels to an extra mono mix centre stage, in-between the L and R outputs. I know this is a little unconventional.

Steffan, are you therefore saying that it is possible to send a mix identical to the main outputs to the monitor mixes/outputs? Where would I turn the PAFL off?

Thank you . . . I’ve still quite novice so my apologies if I’m no explaining myself very well.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

So you’re looking for extra volume.
    What speaker rigs? Daisy chaining might make more sense…

The Alt-Out can be configured to sent virtually anything – if you select LR then it is a post fade copy of the main mix – you have a physical pot to balance the level against the main speakers, and then it will just follow faithfully.

PAFL has nothing to do with this AFAICT

DrummerBoyPhil
    Participant

Hi, thanks, I have 2 x QSC K10’s and 1 x KSub (so a 3K FOH) and I have a 400w monitor speaker that’s quite loud that I want to sit in the middle.

What’s the best way to get 2 x TRS outputs to an XLR speaker input?

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Don’t. There isn’t one! (well not with a cable)

Choose L+R (post) for the Alt Out, which is two identical mono outputs, that will follow the master fader, (with their own level control after that)

Then you’ll need one TRS -> XLR cable.
    Tip >>>>> Pin 2
    Ring >>>> Pin 3
    Screen >> Pin 1

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Yep – the only alternative is a secondary mixer, and given that the QU can do it for you – that’s a bit pointless…

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Dick, I just want to add one of my monitors to the PA/FOH for more output/volume, (my band are performing in a large room tomorrow).

OK. But adding another speaker in this manner will have more drawbacks than advantages. The increase in output SPL will only be about 3dB if that. Having the monitor at stage level center rather than raised above peoples heads will aid only the center front area where you might want to fill in an off-axis hole from the mains, but can also act as a third sound source combined with the mains increasing any “muddy” tendencies of the room as well as the interference known as comb-filtering.

I would hope your mains are at least 8′ in the air on stands. And if you want the best result and least harm, I’d use that third speaker for on a vocal only bus…or perhaps vocal/solo.

DrummerBoyPhil
    Participant

Thanks everyone, very helpful indeed, Phil

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.