Is it possible to go MONO from Mac to QU?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Is it possible to go MONO from Mac to QU?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of arretx
    arretx
    Participant

For the longest time we’ve had two channels on our QU32 dedicated to USB streaming from our Mac for audio (Youtube, Spotify, etc.)

We don’t have a room that works well with stereo, so everything we have is mixed down to mono anyway.

Is there a way to send both left and right signals from the Mac to the QU-32 on a single USB stream to one channel without needing to eat up a strip?

Profile photo of arretx
    arretx
    Participant

It doesn’t appear that there’s a way to USB stream a stereo signal to the QU-32 combined to MONO into a single channel, even after setting the Accessibility Option on the Mac, as that only seems to affect the built in speakers and headphone jack.

It would be a bit strange to run analog from the headphone jack to the QU32 would it not? I could use accessibility to combine the L/R signal into a single signal and then connect directly to the QU-32 Local input, but I’d be losing all semblance of digital in terms of sending audio to the board.

Any thoughts? Am I just stuck with using up 2 channels?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

If you want the signal from the Mac returning back into your QU32 via USB or digital you have to use 2 channels.

However is you want to get that signal out of the MAC you could plug another desk like a QU16 and return the signal into that!
    My iMac will see 2 QUs’
    The QAU32 is fixed 32X32 USB
    What DAW software are you using?

Profile photo of arretx
    arretx
    Participant

Ableton Live. I could use the utility to mix down to MONO and send to the QU, but I don’t want to add another step for the volunteers here when it comes to simply playing mac audio through the house.

I suppose I could use another audio interface… or come to think of it, I could just connect the headphone jack directly to an alternate input on the DSP. I guess there’s a gazillion ways to approach this.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Oh, Volunteers? Understand!
    Maybe you could use the mac headphone socket into USB-3 on the QU32?
    Mini jack TRS to Mini jack TRS? OR mini jack > jack into ST1/2
    Depending on the original quality you might be able to tweak it?
    As on the QU 32 you can ‘not’ assign USB return to ST1/2/3!
    And if that worked using headphone socket output from Mac then you could have a passive lead made up using 16k resistors
    combining left/Right program material as you can not mono up st1/2/St3
    You could probably buy a small box with mini Jack input to single unbalanced 1/4 ” jack and just use mono inputs ST-1/2 ?
    Few things to think about for you.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@arretx
    So I have just tried Mini-jack from imac [old 2011] into ST3 in
    Works fine!
    I used iTunes to play a track.
    Listened back into Yamaha studio monitors and also into powered subs from AUX 9/10

However of course you need to change the “play or listen” in your Mac.
    Hope this helps

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@arretx
    If ST1/2 are not being used and the Mac is close to the QU32 you could mini jack out of headphone socket into the mono [upper Jack sockets] of ST1/2
    Mini jack to quarter-inch Jacks. Left and Right and the QU desk will sum the 2 parts in mono.
    You can simply buy those leads up to 5 metres long stock standard.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.