Is Automixing planned for the Qu mixers?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Is Automixing planned for the Qu mixers?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of lesouvage lesouvage 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of funkcity
    funkcity
    Participant

Is Automixing planned for the Qu mixers?

This would make a terrific addition. (And really help my church application!)

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

I’d suggest you simply purchase one or more Shure SCM410’s. I use a pair of these to feed into various mixers, either chained together to input 8 auto-mixed mics into a single channel or un-linked to send 4 mics to each of two channels.

Auto-mix would likely be implemented via a module as in other mixers, so not doable on the Qu series. Nice feature, but easily implemented with affordable, readily available gear.

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi funkcity,

Before you buy any external equipment you should know AMM is high on our list for future firmware updates. I can’t give a timeframe nor details at the moment. We will announce on the forum nearer release.

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

That is very good news, Nicola.

funkcity
    Participant

Thanks Nicola!!
    It would be PERFECT for the church I’ve installed with a Qu-16!!
    No dedicated mixing person and lots of open mics!
    I have used the Yamaha MY16 module before and it made a 10 Lavalier-mic panel interview flawless.

Profile photo of gilly
    gilly
    Participant

Excuse my ignorance,but what us Automixing?

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

A robot to sit behind the desk πŸ˜‰

multichannel gate/compressed/ducking systems to allow for multiple speech mics to be left available to whomever walks up to them – I think…

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Excuse my ignorance,but what us Automixing?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automixer

Or you could just look up the particular device I cited in my first reply to see what it does…

funkcity
    Participant

Thanks all!!
    I will try this out this weekend!
    πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Profile photo of lesouvage
    lesouvage
    Participant

I tested it too. When none of the mics are used all the mics stay open which can be annoying. You can change this by using the signal generator of the QU-16/24/32 and connect the mix choosen for the signal with a channel that you add to the AMM mics. With a proper volume of the mix and gain of the channel used (so all the other mix turn off) and the fader of the channel on R/L completely down the other mics are turned of by the AMM feature as long as they are not used.

funkcity
    Participant

I have not had a chance to try the new Qu AMM but the Yamaha MY-16 Dugan unit seems to be scanning with all gain down on the display. When 1 mic is used it has all the gain. If you physically speak into 2 mics it halves the gain in each keeping the overall gain the same. But I do not believe the gain of 8 unused channels is the same as 1 mic being spoken into.
    At some point I may do this test with the 2 systems. Where the Yamaha uses the hardware plugin on an insert, and from what I’ve read, the Qu-AMM acts directly on the fader’s gain….which should be just fine. The only question is how much gain when nobody is talking?

Profile photo of lesouvage
    lesouvage
    Participant

I also asked a question about AMM on the forum: https://community.allen-heath.com/forums/topic/the-new-automatic-microphone-mixing-feature.

Yesterday evening I used AMM with 4 SM58 mics and 1 RΓΈde M3 mic with the default settings and it worked perfectly. Tonight I will use it again and I will keep you informed on my experiences with this feature.

The word “affordable” is very depending on the budget available but this firmware update for free with an AMM feature for 16 mics is the alternative for a € 2.500,- investment in Shure SCM410 or Shure SCM810 units.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.