Is a Headphone Amp Necessary?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Is a Headphone Amp Necessary?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dr. J Dr. J 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dr. J
    Dr. J
    Participant

Hello fellas – I used an IEM setup recently with my QU-32 and had trouble getting the volume up. It also seemed like the louder I pushed it – the more “Squashed” it made everything.
    I did not use a headphone amp. I went straight out of a stereo Aux into my IEM unit. Unit receiver was up all the way and transmitter pack was up all the way.

Is it typically necessary to use a headphone amp with in-ears?

Thanks!

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Define IEM pack.

Sounds like you are running wireless, but depending on what input it is looking for then maybe…

Profile photo of Dr. J
    Dr. J
    Participant

Ok. I use an Galaxy Audio AS-900 unit. I ran out of stereo aux on QU-32 hard wired into AS-900 Receiver.

From receiver to transmitter I went wireless into a set of Shure SE-215 earbuds.

I have a headphone amp (Presonus HP-60) that I could use but was wondering if it is necessary with the QU-32. Trying to simplify and downsize any extra gear as much as possible…

Thanks!

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

Dr. J, read the manual for the Galaxy Audio AS-900 and see if it has a compressor/limiter built in. I think most IEM units have that built in anyway. That would account for the squashed sound you get as you bring up the volume.
    As for the volume problem it sounds to me like the channel levels of your mix to your IEMs are not loud enough and you are pushing the volume to make up for that. Push the channel levels louder in the mix you’ve chosen for your IEM mix and see if that gives you the volume you need.

Profile photo of Dr. J
    Dr. J
    Participant

Thanks airickess – the manual does in fact say there is a built in limiter. I will keep working with the levels…

A headphone amp doesn’t seem to be necessary with this unit but I will most likely hang onto the one I have…

All I really want to achieve is a nice stereo mix I get off the LR but transferred into a stereo Aux.

I wonder if there is a way to copy the main mix to stereo aux mix without going back and forth a dozen times.

Profile photo of Wilts
    Wilts
    Participant

Are you using Alt-Out? If not, you can use it to give a copy of the main output with the advantage of a volume control on the front panel.

Profile photo of Dr. J
    Dr. J
    Participant

Thanks for your input Wilts…. I will give it a try.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.