iPad, router dropouts

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting iPad, router dropouts

This topic contains 15 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Hercules123 Hercules123 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of baytonemus
    baytonemus
    Participant

We’ve even having a lot of trouble with dropouts between our iPad and the QU-16. The router is never further than 50 feet from the iPad and almost always has clear line of sight. It just seems like the mixer is really finicky.

I would like to replace our router with one that is known to work well with a QU-16. Any recommendations?

Thanks – JAY

Profile photo of Hercules123
    Hercules123
    Participant

We just started to use the IPad & an ASUS router. It works well with the iPad 4 generation & newer. The 2nd generation iPad wants to drop out a lot.
    We bought router that has the a/c signal & the signal is strong & consistent.
    I do know setting these routers up can be tricky. There’s no discussion about connections & setup.
    I got an iPad Air 32gb at the Apple Store & got a refurbished for quite a discount.
    There’s a learning curve when using the pad but it doesn’t take long.

Profile photo of Hercules123
    Hercules123
    Participant

Make sure your update is the 1.7 & your router & pad have at least “n” for wifi signal. One of our engineers has an older 2nd generation pad & he’s having drop out issues.
    Just a thought!

Profile photo of millerthriller
    millerthriller
    Participant

For me an iPad 3 and an Airport Express (latest version) works reliable …

Profile photo of baytonemus
    baytonemus
    Participant

The last router we tried was (I think) an ASUS RT-AC52U. Our iPad is a new (2 months ago) Air version.

Profile photo of topdj
    topdj
    Participant

I have a iPad 3 and an Airport Express 2nd version, I had a lot of trouble with other cheap routers

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

I run an iPad Air and one of the 2nd generation Virgin Superhub routers which are made for Virgin by Netgear. Only time I have experianced dropouts are when there has been a lot of 2.4ghz activity in the room from mobile phones and similar devices, so I have set the router to 5ghz. But for the best part it has so far been a positive experiance using the iPad.

Distances vary from gig to gig, if I am doing FOH I can be in a theatre or just a mid to large function room.

Profile photo of David J.
    David J.
    Participant

I have a ipad2 and zixel router, always I had problems with dropouts with QU-16, since 2 years, now I bought a QU-24 and the problem persists. I doubt if the problem is my ipad or router, because works in GLD I no have a problem with the same ipad and router, and Behringer devices works well too.

Any solution?

Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

The router recommendation page athttps://support.allen-heath.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/847/201/recommended-wi-fi-router appears outdated. In fact there is an end-of-life announcement for the only one recommended:
    https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-1260-series/end_of_life_notice_c51-727739.pdf

Does A&H have any recommendations regarding routers for the QU series?

Profile photo of higradeguy
    higradeguy
    Participant

I had numerous dropouts at my event last weekend. Two times it disconnected with the router 12 inches away from me. Very weird.

I am using a Qu-Pac with an Ipad Air and Airport Express router.

Any thoughts?

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

It depends on whether or not you’ve set up your WAP so as to minimize the hits it will take in a busy wifi environment. There are many threads and discussions about this on the Pro Sound Web. I would suggest you go over there and do a search on the subject.

Or ask Andreas here…

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Or ask Andreas hereā€¦

probably can’t suggest much, I rarely use the iPad for more than little monitoring setup. No problems so far, crossing fingers.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Here’s a link to a thread currently discussing WAP security:

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,155521.0.html

Profile photo of moon
    moon
    Participant

Ipad (1st generation) and Airport Express (version 2) have worked great for me on both
    a GLD-80 and the QU-16. Make sure you have WAP and connect at 5ghz. Range good past 100 feet.
    cheers,
    Mike

Profile photo of debzdoodle
    debzdoodle
    Participant

One more vote for the Apple Airport Express. My friend Mr. Dick Rees first put the bug in my ear last year but I was using a ‘mostly’ reliable Cisco. I still would get dropout though once in a while. I finally switched to the Apple 2-3 months ago and it was the best thing I did for my wi-fi set up.The range is much better and I have experienced drop out one time only due to poor positioning on my part. This is definitely a Buy once – cry once decision.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.