iPad fader case…

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions iPad fader case…

This topic contains 15 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

This is a really “out there” suggestion…
    The Qu-You app is limited to 8+1 faders (which is a limitation I can work with – particularly with multiple layers)

What I found using it as a *the* interface to a mixer was that the touch screen needs a little too much visual confirmation.
    I’ll get used to it, and it’s not a killer… But…

What would be awesome is an iPad case…
    – with both 30 pin and lightning cables to plug into the iPad (or maybe bluetooth?)
    – with a “charge through” port (likely not needed if bluetooth, could still be useful*)
    – with a strap handle and a stand on the rear (so it can be handheld easily, or propped up)
    – with a “side pod” of 9 Qu-You style “wheels” OR 9 faders (probably short)

The wheels would control the faders on screen, but provide no feedback on level directly.
    The fader option would require motorised faders which jumped to the relevant position on each layer change and or swipe along the screen, that’s probably too much power requirement…

Additionally a “layer up” and “layer down” button set (or wheel?) would be useful…

Having thought about it for a couple of weeks, I still managed to come up with the wheels idea *as* I was typing it out.

Basically I’d like a tactile control surface on the iPad, it doesn’t need to be big or clever (the iPad is that), but something relatively simple should be doable.

Anyone done any iOS hardware integration?

* For instance if it had microUSB charging itself it could pass that on as USB power to link to any iPad

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Not Qu-You, berk.. Qu-Pad.

Always have someone else proof important words 😉

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

The following is a reply from A&H regarding using the Qu-pad app hard-wired to the desk, but it probably applies here:

Can anyone tell me if it’s possible to connect an iPad running the Qu-pad app directly to the network port on the Qu-16?

An iPad running the Qu-Pad app is only designed to operate wirelessly,
    Connecting a USB – Ethernet lead is not supported, there are no plans to support this at present.

(For feature requests, we encourage users to use the A&H Digital Community resource. – https://community.allen-heath.com)

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Not connecting the iPad to anything on the mixer.

This is a physical remote for the iPad remote control of the desk (second level of remoteness…

Dick Rees
    Participant

I believe what they were saying is that the app will not connect via the 30 pin or lightning connector but that it is as it is…touchscreen wireless.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Yes, I wouldn’t do anything differently.
    This would be a case for the iPad which provided some physical control over the app – the app still has the only (wireless) connection to the mixer.

Out of interest I’ve have thought that if the iPad was connected via a Proprietary -> ethernet cable that the Qu-Pad app wouldn’t care, it just accesses the network?

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

How about continuous pots rather than faders or wheels? Smaller + cheaper + already used by A&H. In fact ones with a push/click too, used as the select button would be good.

I’d love the fader option really, but I think you’re right about power.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Can’t manipulate multiple pots with one hand…

I just found:
    https://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/zivix-puc-wireless-midi-link.

Adding that to a midi controller (a BCF2000 for instance) might be an option – if the Qu-Pad app supported it… (and assuming that the wifi limitation has been overcome).

MarkPAman
    Participant

“Can’t manipulate multiple pots with one hand…”

True! And you still need to look at a display to know where you’ve turned it to (I know I can hear changes live, but I can’t set something in advance by ear). This is also the case with wheels.

And wheels take up a lot of space.

So we have to come back to motorised faders, and live with a relatively big bunch of batteries.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

I don’t think the wheels have to be large, glancing at the faders for level information is, IMHO, easier than finding them and grabbing them with fingers.

Maybe a full body harness, with batteries at the back and an iPad table at the front, with a cup holder 😉
    Or just another QU16 at the back, connected over WiFi as a remote controller 😉

MarkPAman
    Participant

I want a heads up, 3D display, showing me every function of the desk & using cameras and motion detectors to allow me to operate it all by moving my fingers.

Bellringer make one and it only cost less than 2 bags of chips.

You will tell me if I’m loosing the plot won’t you…… 😉

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

I’m thinking that a “wheel” that is ~1cm wide doesn’t even need to be as wide a diameter as a mouse scroll wheel, so not as much room as you might think.

For a really radical idea – have a “belt” rather than a wheel, maybe with an LED “fader” location indicator if they are full height.
    Most of the feel of faders (no instant feedback of level), but without the requirement to motorise. These could reasonably be 40-60mm “belt faders”, since they would be used for adjusting the level, and you could pull, reset, pull…

So a case which fits all the current variants of the (full sized) iPad – i.e. probably uses corner clips or a sprung side
    With a strap on the rear – like https://mashable.com/2012/12/26/ipad-cases-hand-straps/
    And a set of 9 faders/wheels/belts basically lined up with the iPad screen
    And a couple of buttons/wheel to select which layer on the iPad (up and down buttons)
    Bluetooth or 30pin&lightning connectors *
    Charge Through port – If it takes power (bluetooth, leds) then a charge through connector (USB B?) to keep the iPad topped up (whilst the device has input power), if it occupies the 30 pin or lightning then it should at least be able to pass power back.

*Bluetooth is quite attractive in that it is going to be relatively future proofed against apple changing connectors again, the others give me better reliability feeling, and lower power requirement.

Profile photo of Hawk
    Hawk
    Participant

ios now supports MIDI over bluetooth. So as long as the Qu-pad app supports midi input control, all the bluetooth midi controller should be able to work.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Ooh – That would be nice.

So then a BCF2000 and https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mi-1-wireless-midi-interface-connecting-digital-piano-and-ios-device
    interesting – the BC sits on the bar, the iPad can go on walkabout, then come back and “just work” with the faders… possibly…

Dick Rees
    Participant

“…as long as the Qu-pad app supports midi input control, all the bluetooth midi controller should be able to work.”

This is not a given. At present I believe it is not supported. I think you’ll have to ask tech support.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.