iPad app very difficult to control

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD feature suggestions iPad app very difficult to control

Tagged: 

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of José José 8 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mark McFarlane
    Mark McFarlane
    Participant

I don’t know if anyone else has this problem, but I have a VERY difficult time selecting faders, channels, and setting the mix on the iPad app. Sometime I will have to tap on an Aux 10 times before it is selected as the mix. I primary use the iPad app for pre-show monitor setup and it is a real PITA.

I also use an X32 and DL1608 and I don’t have any problems with those apps, nor other iPad apps, they respond very quickly to my selections but the GLD iPad app is almost unusable due to the difficulty of selecting items.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Profile photo of TobyDE
    TobyDE
    Participant

We use the app for monitor mixing from the stage without any problems (iPad Air). Note that you have to double tap the AUX to set is as mix.

Profile photo of GSLC-Tech
    GSLC-Tech
    Participant

I am far from being proficient using an iPad and have fat fingers, but I also struggled. I might try a stylus to see if that has better response and I only use the thing sparingly.

Profile photo of fornies
    fornies
    Participant

I’ve had a few issue with the ipad app too. We have come from the PreSonus app which is one of the best responsive apps I have used.

One of the big issues I have noticed is when I try to drag a fader it only recognizes the tap but not the drag. I lift my finger and try again but it reads a second tap. This changes from mixing a aux to mixing the Main LR which can cause big problems.

Profile photo of Mark McFarlane
    Mark McFarlane
    Participant

I know about the double tap, thanks Toby.

I also have the same problem as fornies with the fader move not being recognized, then the iPad switching from aux to main mix when you try the second time. This is maddening during the heat of monitor mix setup during soundcheck and makes the ‘double tap to select mix’ a really bad UI design since fader selects are often missed and so the gesture to slide a fader inadvertently turns into a mix select.

Maybe I’ll download the Qu app and see if it works any better.

So that’s 3/4 users with problems, anyone else want to chime in, even if it works fine for you. For a console this expensive I find this usability issue unacceptable.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Participant

I also find the iPad app extremely hard to us for the faders and graphic EQs as well. I haves used apps for Ls9, X32, Soundcraft Compact, and a few others and I have the most trouble with the GLD app. I do a lot of mixing and monitor mixing on iPads so improving the app would be high on my priority list. Even the app for the QU16 is more responsive and quite a bit more intuitive although it is still not as responsive as the app for other mixers. I could live with the app as it is if the faders would just move when you touch them without having to touch them just right until they turn yellow which often leads to them switching to mix mode. I kind of understand why they were programmed this way so you can’t accidentally move them but the target spot needs to be bigger.

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

It works great for me! I love the ability to swipe right to get the fader smoother! I think there are more problems if the faders are too easy to push! Accidently! Also PEQ wirks great for me! For the GEQ i wish to have a button to reset single Frequencies! If I ring out monitors it would be nice to be able to set those frequencies back to 0!

Profile photo of John-S
    John-S
    Participant

iPad 4 user here. I too find the iPad app almost unusable. I have to touch things 3 or more times and really concentrate on arriving AND staying on what I want to adjust. Sometimes I am adjusting things I had no idea how I got there. It is very inelegant. Side note; I have an iPhone, iPad Mini too, so I have a modicum of familiarity with IOS and Apple hardware.

So many things about the GLD ecosystem are crude or missing completely. The mix surface is wonderful when you can figure what you need to do. If you need to perform an action you have never done before I guess they expect you to shut down rehearsal, go home, watch hours of videos because they did not feel a manual was necessary then call everybody back. Mixers at 1/3 the price have comprehensive manuals. If I needed to do something unusual I just had to open the Y company’s well written manual, look through the index and soon I was happily adjusting my way to nirvana. A&H missed the boat when they made their built in manual unsearchable and with no index. You need to already know what you want to do, go to the correct page then see that they did in fact include it. Backwards if I have to say.

I suggest the wizards at A&H would at least allow crowd-sourcing where we can write our own procedures and post it on their site. A “sticky” section would go a long way.

So many other things are absent when I needed them. Now you got me started… But I’ll stop here.

Profile photo of José
    José
    Participant

The APPpara Ipad Gld Remote compared to the competition in much lower toks too many on the screen fails a lot to spend mixing LR monitors really bad QPad gives 1000 turns to have if you put the batteries and make a PPP has height times a greeting

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘GLD feature suggestions’ is closed to new topics and replies.