IP8 for Stage

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions IP8 for Stage

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Bill in TN Bill in TN 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Bill in TN
    Bill in TN
    Participant

Hello, An IP8 question Please.

We are 3 weeks into our new dLive system and we really hear and see the benefits of it. One problem I anticipate is when there is no one on stage with a laptop or pad to mix monitors and choir fills like I’ve been doing it all falls on FOH man to do that and it’s easy to miss things. So I am thinking about the IP8 and wanting to make sure of a couple things…

1) I read in documentation it connects to the dLive Network not the GigaAce network. But the pics I see in the documentation seem to show it at the GigaAce port and I hope the picture doesn’t resolve right on computer or that’s a mistake.
    2) I want to be confident I can structure the IP8 so a user only has access to the few specific sends I give them for wedges and fills. We tried a few things with the simulator and I wasn’t sure I was able to do that but I probably need to look at it again. I’m being lazy asking you here but I want to be certain the IP8 will have No control over the house or other aux sends than we intend and set up.

The IP8 wired on stage appears to be the solution I would have liked to understand up front to go without monitors. It could be handed off to a few trusted people that would turn up soloists or speakers or pre-recorded stuff as needed so that our choir can hear these better when someone can’t be right there to help them with that. It looks easy enough I can teach a few people how to use it in minutes.

Thanks,

Bill in TN
    Participant

I missed question #3. Can I simply use a POE injector that provides ~30w of power instead of a POE switch if I only plan to use one of these.

I read a bit of discussion about switches and POE but don’t recall anyone using something like this which is the first thing that came up on Amazon…

https://www.amazon.com/Comtrend-PoE-9211-Power-Ethernet-Injector/dp/B01GTMMIUM/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1534198072&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=30w+poe+injector&psc=1

Profile photo of dockopenbrook
    dockopenbrook
    Participant

Hey Bill,
    I’m technical engineer in our local church and we are using up to 4 IP6 controller on stage for mix control. It’s working quite well and the musicians are very happy having their own mix right on hand. In addition some use their iPad to control the monitor mix and we have a small “FOH” with an IP8 and 22” Touch monitor running the director software. Working great so far!
    By the way: I definitely recommend this over the ME solution because you have always direct access to the mixes. 🙂

Easy way to configure the right controller mix:
    Go to MixRack -> controllers -> quick setup -> then left click on ”setup”

Referring to POE: Be ware that the IP8 controller needs POE+! The IP6 are less power hungry and work with “normal” POE.

And last: You need to use the network port on the dlive; not the gigaace – that’s only for surfaces 😉

Bill in TN
    Participant

Hi and Thanks,

This is very helpful. Our musicians are already using ME and they like it. While I wish the ME had a digital return for the audio (good for a wireless in ear) this is part of the features of the IP that is nice, only needing one wire. However, I don’t like the ME for a fill or monitor because then the sound guys loose ability to override what someone might do. We gave our orchestra an Aviom that mixed a couple small wedges for them and they would turn the click trac up too loud such that you can hear it in the house. With the IP I could take it away on the fly and mix it back down 🙂

By POE+ I guess you simply mean higher power POE than a basic 12-24w injector as used for AP’s and such. I’ll do a little more research on that.

I was pretty sure the image I was seeing was a problem and the line was drifting over closer to the gigaAce where it didn’t belong.

I’m already trying to talk them into one. We’ve spent a lot on our upgrade but by doing all the work on our own have saved enough it’ll be hard for them to argue we can’t afford it 🙂

Thanks,

Profile photo of Underscore
    Underscore
    Participant

Bill, how do you connect your ME for monitor function… We have a couple of wt members that absolutely don’t use in-ears, so that means we set a floor wedge or a small hot-spot monitor for them.
    We are using ME’s. What I setup and run with our iLive system, connect the ME mono out thru a DI box to a mix rack input. I then patch that input socket as an “external input” to the aux mix for that specific monitor channel.
    What that gives me as an engineer is gain control on the input, master output volume control, limiter, and mute control.
    While I can’t control what they mix with the ME(and that is the purpose, so I don’t have to), I do have control of the ambient level and can lower it if they get out of hand… lol.. AND, if there something they want in their mix that is not available to the ME, I can manually mix it in the aux mix.
    We don’t do this on a regular basis, but it does work well for us when we do.

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

You can also connect a “wall wart” directly to the IP8 for power. It doesn’t have to use POE. That’s just an option.

Bill in TN
    Participant

Underscore , this is exactly what we had done with old Aviom on our monitor land GL4000. We could listen to their mix and bring their level down but not alter the mix. Not a great solution.

Art, yes I know but then two wires to the IP8 and either some extension cord or custom extension of the low voltage. I want it to be somewhat mobile and a 20-25 ft tether of a single Ethernet would let us walk the stage, mix wedges and choir fills pretty easily. Adding a power cord would make that more difficult.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.