Invisible preamp changes…

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Invisible preamp changes…

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

One thing I’d like to be able to do on occasion is tweak the preamp *after* some musicians have started setting their in ears. When a guitar amp gets tweaked, or when a bass player realises that his guitar goes to 11 😉 or a keyboard player finds their volume control… Sometimes even when a vocalist remembers what a mic is for 😀

I’d have thought it would be relatively simple for there to be a “hold” button (maybe holding the select button of the channel?) so that as I increase/decrease the gain on the preamp all of the mix/group/matrix outputs get decreased/increased by the same amount – resulting in no net change to the output, but better levels internally.

This would allow easier gain structure management without having to rework everything else that the signal goes to…

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

I believe that this needs to much calculation power

but it will lead to a gain tracking posibility

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Good idea, but it gets complicated quickly. Will it also need to change gate threshold, and the compressor?

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

I’d have thought the maths would be easy – add one on the gain, drop one on all outputs.

I hadn’t considered the compressor or gate, but again it’s only add/subtract one for one…

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

How in the world did we ever do live sound in the past?

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

Quite.

I think this needs a lot more consideration of exactly what should change before it can be taken too seriously. Gain structure inside the channel will also inherently change, not just sends to busses.

Profile photo of dcongdon
    dcongdon
    Participant

+1. I would also like the cables to plug themselves in.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

At the moment, and in the analogue world, I’ve just done it by eye.

The change of gain structure is kind of the point, but yes this will have impacts I haven’t considered. Fx configured as inserts for instance, compressors/gates, make up gain, trim.

I imagine the guys inside A&H have a far better handle on the interactions than I ever will, and trust them to make sensible judgements as they have on the other features (scene save/recall UI excepted ;))

Profile photo of dcongdon
    dcongdon
    Participant

Sorry for the jesting. I can see how this would be a valuable feature request for bands with no house engineer.

It may very well be the future of our profession. I only request permission to move the faders from time to time. Scary to think, but mixing music may eventually become fully automated too. Wouldn’t be the first time convenience beat artistry.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

It’s not a no house engineer thought, it’s a rapid setup thing, where time between arrival and gig is very very short

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

How in the world did we ever do live sound in the past?

We eye-balled everything. Danced like a keyboard player with hands twisting and the other hand adjusting at the same time. Scanned with the brain.
    Still had to push a few buttons but used visuals a lot more.
    Just amazing how fast the brain scanned mixer surfaces and racks of compressors/gates/reverb red inputs.

What is the new Firmaware bringing?

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

That was back when we really mixed and didn’t expect the mixer to do everything for us. Don’t get me wrong. I love dig boards. I was slow to embrace them. I have been doing this since 60’s with no console. Just tube mixers with rotary knobs and no EQ.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Yes! Brilliant!!!
    but you forgot the foot as well?
    I remember I had to add some reverb or something at the beginning of a track working in the studio on this large 40 channel desk I had built and had to use my foot to push the fader up at the same time on the other end of the desk.

what a DUH!

thanks for the laugh

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

When I was younger I ran a show where I ended up with one queue with faders t each end of the desk, that was a *full* stretch – nose on the faders in the middle…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.