insert sends or direct outs

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions insert sends or direct outs

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of jet1968 jet1968 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jet1968
    jet1968
    Participant

…are the channel source options for multitrack recording, which is best to use and why?

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Which what? Question unclear you have specific?

Profile photo of jet1968
    jet1968
    Participant

I want to multitrack record on Q16
    the options I seem to have for tapping the channel source(s) are insert sends or direct outs
    which one should I use?
    thanks

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

The insert sends are at a fixed point in the signal path (effectively post preamp+pol inv.) The DO point is movable to different points in the signal chain, but is global for all channels. The DO tap point is also where you will feed your ME1s and and FX units configured as channel-return. Which one you should use would depend on what sound you want in your recording. Most people record post preamp then use the DAW to add in FX and processing later, so the Insert-send position would make sense for this.

If you wanted the recording to include your QU’s processing, you’d need to use the DO option and move it to the appropriate spot in the signal chain.

If you do choose the DO option and move it, you need to be aware of what that will do to your ME1/FX sounds, which may or may not be a moot point.

Profile photo of jet1968
    jet1968
    Participant

Many thanks for the explanation 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.