Insert Second Compressor

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive feature suggestions Insert Second Compressor

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SteffenR SteffenR 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Brad
    Brad
    Participant

would anyone else find it useful to be able to insert a second compressor (or EQ, or insert) on an input channel? I know we could use a bus, but this uses up another finite resource.

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

You could always use a Waves compressor for that.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

2 inserts additional to the compressor per input channel

Profile photo of Jens-Droessler
    Jens-Droessler
    Participant

Wouldn’t a Dyn8 in the channels insert, with all the multiband compressors bands set to the same settings and set to wide do the same thing as a normal compressor? That would be the solution for that.

Anyway, it would be nice if there would be additional compressor modules as insert objects like the Dyn8. Use could be like the limiter on iLive. Also, a two band Deesser or a two band DynEQ available in the same way would be very nice. For many situations the Dyn8 would be overkill, even a bit confusing at the first moment when revisiting settings. Yes, I know there is a deesser in the effects section useable as an insert, but it costs a whole effects block which could be put to better use AND is even more confusing to people getting the system explaind. “So wait, the powerful multiband compressor/dynEQ is available 64 times and not in the effects section, while the Deesser shares space with reverb, delay, chorus and IS in the effects section?” It’s unneccessarily confusing. I don’t care if I lose one Dyn8 while using three or four of those two band deessers/dynEQs and the hard part of the coding work is already done, right?

SteffenR
    Participant

Jens, use only one band of the Dyn8… it works for me 😉

but we should set a De-Esser based on the Dyn8 on the wishlist…

Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

so I get along wonderfully with the DYN8. with it you can even make yourself a very powerful Deesser.
    since this tool exists, i have no more wishes regarding dynamics. 😉
    you just have to practice how to use it a little bit, so that the operation is smoother

Profile photo of Jens-Droessler
    Jens-Droessler
    Participant

Of course you can do Deessing with the Dyn8. But it seems total overkill to assign the resources of a whole Dyn8 to that. If a Deesser would be limited to two bands of the Dyn8 DynEQ, probably four of those Deessers could be run taking up only the resources of one Dyn8. Yes, there are 64 Dyn8s, but getting used to them the count of free ones goes down fast. Monitoring for a musical. Twelve performers with stereo IEM, so 24 gone. Band and orchestra mixed in several sub groups, another 16 gone. IEM for the band, well… Now every performer needs Deessing…

Anyway, saving up resources could be a good thing, depending what else will come in this form of insertables. The transient designer from the FX rack would also be nice to have in this form for example.

Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

uh– so i just use the Dyn8 much more economically.
    when the tool was new, i tried it on every channel, but soon realized that i just rarely REALLY need it.
    but when i need it, it’s a super great tool!
    i have some vocal candidates where this extensive tool is a blessing!! but you have to take your time to adjust it. that’s why i only use it on relatively few channels.
    on InEar I haven’t tried it yet, the musicians are already very happy with the sound they get. i can’t imagine it would get any better, but i will try it on occasion. almost all of my musicians really want floorwedges.

But if you need a Deesser in almost every channel, you should first check your system’s tweeters. 😉

SteffenR
    Participant

yeah if you need more than 5 de-esser there is something wrong… or it’s a Musical

ahh other word for something wrong… 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.