Input Trim – 0dB is not always 0dB

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions Input Trim – 0dB is not always 0dB

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jay Jay 7 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jay
    Jay
    Participant

FW 1.40, 1.41. Didn’t check earlier versions.

I noticed some minor level variations in working with a single track across different channels and think I’ve narrowed it down to an offset issue with input trim.

Observed on input trim:
    – For a given input signal (sine wave), if trim is set at 0dB and has never been taken past -24/+24 limits then you get a “0dB” out of trim. Base reference.
    – If you take trim past -24 (it stops at -24) and back to 0dB, the output signal is about 1/2dB higher than 0dB ref.
    – If you take trim past +24 (it stops at +24) and back to 0dB, the output signal is about 1/2dB lower than 0dB ref.

I have yet to find a way to “reset” this channel back to the 0dB reference short of recalling the scene or show. If you save it with the trim offset then the scene/show will forever have the offset.

As an aside, I have some PEQ gains that I can’t get to read 0dB that appear to be behaving in a similar fashion but are at least displaying the fraction gain offset (.1).

Jay

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

how you measure it?

Profile photo of Jay
    Jay
    Participant

SMAART v7 – It showed up as I was measuring consistency across different analog inputs, which initially looked like the A/D side but it stuck with an input channel.

Dante In / Dante Out also showed it in SMAART.

Unfortunately, I just went to take screen shots for you and can’t duplicate it now that I restarted the system and loaded a clean show.

What does show up (easily viewed – no audio):

If you take a channel that hasn’t been slammed on trim, you have -1.1, -0.5, 0.0, +0.5, +1.1.

Set Trim to 0, turn to +24, and back to zero. You can set -1.3, -0.7, 0.0, +0.3, +0.9.
    Set Trim to 0, turn to -24, and back to zero. You now can set -0.9, -0.3, 0.0, +0.7, +1.3

I can’t duplicate it in audio right now, but looking at the displayed values it looks like “0” has shifted. Similar to the PEQ comment I made above. Based on the shift above, it looks more like a .2dB shift.

Can anyone else duplicate the apparent shift in offset for trim?

Jay

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

What is your system?

Profile photo of Jay
    Jay
    Participant

DM64, S5000, Dante in Slot 4

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.