Input > Channel or!

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions Input > Channel or!

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Scott Scott 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Darn, I thought I had this a day or so back. If I open [I/O] a window with I/O ports opens. Let’s say I select the dSNAKE tab at the top, and then click on iP1 tombstone. All well and good. Now below the matrix I see “Socket dSNAKE Input, 1”

So just to be a pain I’m going to set it to unassigned. Now I repeat the process for the 4th tombstone in the matrix. So now I have two “Unassigned” in the matrix’s top row.

OK. Now I select the 1st “Unassigned” and below it I choose [Input] from the pulldown but then roll the numbers to get 4. And Apply. The 1st tombstone shows iP 4.

BUT! What did I do? Did I assign a mic plugged into the 1st 2412 XLR socket (#1) to “DSP Channel” number 1. Or, did I assign 2412 XLR socket #4 to Channel 1? I cringe to actually ask this. Sorry!

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

You assigned the item plugged into the physical socket #1 of the 2412, to input #4 in the console.

You can verify this by going to input channel #4’s fader strip and selecting it, then choosing the “Preamp” tab on the processing window. The input assignment for that channel is shown in the top left.

In GLD (as in dLive, and SQ) there are multiple ways of completing the same task.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thank you. I know some folks who claim they “know” the QLD but in fact are using it, as it was set up originally. Basically changing names on the strips. I’m more interested in knowing right from the stage inputs to the 2412 x2 84 and other inputs through the patches to the fader positions so this helps. I have said before in this forum that I find the use of word channel ambiguous in places. And it is interesting looking at the block diagram to see each of the 48 “Input Channels” has a fader! SO I’m getting used to the fact that a ‘physical’ fader can be an “Input Channel” things like FX, DCA controllers and outputs. The concept of a “Input Channel” WITH A FADER being attached to any Physical fader is still causing me a bit of anguish. I.E. If there is a fader in the block diagram what does that compare to the physical fader positions! I’ll get it eventually.

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

The channel always has a fader internally regardless of whether or not it is assigned to a fader strip on the mixer’s surface.

You could take Channel #2 and set it’s fader to -10db, and then go into the “Setup” menu and remove that channel’s strip assignment from the surface.

Even though channel #2 is no longer on the surface (assigned to any strip on any layer), it is still fully functional and work continue to pass audio with it’s fader position still set at -10db.

If you went back into setup and added that channel back to one of the strips, you would see that it hasn’t changed.

Try this with a music player and you will see that it still functions perfectly, and remains at the level that you left it at, or in the state that you left it in (including Mute, etc).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.