Infocomm

This topic contains 28 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of eotsskleet eotsskleet 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

New QU32 and stage box up on website. Have not gotten pricing yet.

Profile photo of dcongdon
    dcongdon
    Participant

I am interested to hear more about the GLD + 1608. Video says you can connect it to the 2412 expander port. Should we expect a larger channel count for the GLD?

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

My guess is that possibly a firmware upgrade or maybe there already for the 168 to work off expander port as if it were a 084 plus the second Cat 5 for the second 084. So 40 inputs available. Just a guess

Profile photo of jcarter
    jcarter
    Participant

If you look at the “Dsnake Exp” page on the I/O patching in Editor v1.4 (when not connected to a GLD) it shows up as a 16×8 so I think the firmware is already there for the GLD to connect.

I wouldn’t expect a firmware update to add more input processing channels since that’s probably hard-wired in the DSP architecture. Even so, a few extra preamps that could be switched in/out via scene recall could be useful for something like a big theatrical show.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

The one thing we need a clarification on is IF the GLD can address all 40 channels on the 2 boxes on one DSnake.

Nicola?

Profile photo of jcarter
    jcarter
    Participant

The one thing we need a clarification on is IF the GLD can address all 40 channels on the 2 boxes on one DSnake.

It works offline in the Editor but I don’t have a GLD or (obviously) 168 with me to verify.

Profile photo of jcarter
    jcarter
    Participant

double post, sorry.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

From what I am now being told. Yes you can plug the AB168 into the expander port on the 2412 and have 40 inputs on one cat 5. I did not inquire as to the outputs. I am assuming they all are in play.

Profile photo of papromike
    papromike
    Participant

George you are correct and guys, the new Firmware soon to be released for Qu addresses the channel naming as well as many other cool new additions (Like DCA groups) to the QU line, Ill let AH make the announcement, but we have all of the QU’s updated to V1.5 at the show and the new feature set is very cool and exactly what you guys asked for. Allen & Heath has definitely been listening.

Profile photo of dcongdon
    dcongdon
    Participant

Thanks for the updates. This is exciting news. In the GLD Editor, I see that you can choose to activate a maximum of 40 inputs and 30 outputs–mixing and matching between the AR2412, AB168 (or AR84), the Expander AR84, and Surface. The benefit of using the AB168 with a GLD system is that you can now put more i/o on stage if you want to deactivate the i/o on the back of the mixer. I can see a benefit to having 48 xlr inputs if I don’t need RCA. Curious if there are 48 mic pres available or if channels 45-48 have to be line-level inputs.

A few other questions still linger for me:

1. What becomes of the extra expander port on the GLD mixer when the AB168 is attached to the AR2412? Local ME-1 port, offline or something else?

2. Hoping that A&H adds an AR168 unit for permanent installs. The AB168 design is a nice stage drop idea, but it will make for more work when used with a UPS. If the ports were front/rear, adding rack ears wouldn’t be a huge issue. Having the ports on the side means a completely different physical design will be required. Again, I am all for the new product. It makes a lot of sense for the mobile QU series. I can also see a lot of uses for the GLD users as well.

Looking forward to the official launch today. Great work A&H. Keep it up!

Profile photo of Yorkshire Pudding
    Yorkshire Pudding
    Participant

The web page for the AB168 says that there is an optional rack kit available 🙂

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

still: the connection panel is on the side and not on the front or the back! so in a standard 19″ rack-case it might be fuzzy to connect the dSnake and power-cable!

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi all,

Curious if there are 48 mic pres available or if channels 45-48 have to be line-level inputs.

The two stereo channels can use mic preamps from dSNAKE or surface, but the gain will be shared across the pair.

1. What becomes of the extra expander port on the GLD mixer when the AB168 is attached to the AR2412? Local ME-1 port, offline or something else?

In firmware V1.4 we changed the way dSNAKE naming and numbering works to accommodate the new AB168, as some had spotted after release. You can now assign as many as 24 in / 12 out from your main dSNAKE device i.e. the one directly connected to the GLD dSNAKE port, as well as up to 16 in / 8 out from your dSNAKE Expander (an AR84 or AB168 plugged into the Expander port of the main device, be it an AR2412 or AB168), AND up to 8 in / 4 out from the local Surface Expander. The I/O tabs reflect this arrangement.

Attached to this post is a document showing all possible dSNAKE combinations with Qu and GLD. Hopefully this will answer some of the other questions.

2. Hoping that A&H adds an AR168 unit for permanent installs. The AB168 design is a nice stage drop idea, but it will make for more work when used with a UPS. If the ports were front/rear, adding rack ears wouldn’t be a huge issue. Having the ports on the side means a completely different physical design will be required.

The AB168 is only 411mm wide (including the rubber bumpers). The rack ears are designed to leave all extra space on the right for accessing the mains and EtherCon sockets.

Hope this helps.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

Awesome! Thanks Nicola! Altough its great to have this flexibility.. whats about connecting an AR84 to an AB168? If i use for example my Qu-16 with the AB168 connected – now i would like to have the AR84 connected to the AB168 to get the ST1-3 Inputs and the 2 missing Stereo outputs!?

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.