Inear mixes with DCA group, controlled by Qu-You

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Inear mixes with DCA group, controlled by Qu-You

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I work with Qu-Pac for some days and can’t find a solution on my problem:

Maybe I can easyer discribe my idea with a drawing of a simple example. The OUT 1-4 are the outs for the mixer in the venue. DCAGrp 1 is my inear channel. DCAgrp 2 is the inear channel for the drummer. With the Qu-You we want to control the volume of every single channel that are in DCAGrp 1 or DCAGrp 2 without changing the volume of the IN channel. For Example: the drummer controlls the volume of the DCAGrp 2 to make it sound louder in his inear. And he changes the volume of “his” vocal channel to hear me louder. This does not effect the rest of the channels for the venue and me.

……Input………………|…..Routed to
    IN 1 Playback…………|OUT 1, DCAGrp 1, DCAGrp 2
    IN 2 Click for drummer|……………………..DCAGrp 2
    IN 3 Vocal……………..|OUT 2, DCAGrp 1, DCAGrp 2
    IN 4 Guitar…………….|OUT 3, DCAGrp 1, DCAGrp 2
    IN 5 Drums…………….|OUT 4,………………DCAGrp 2

In the video from allen & heath there is shown the solution, but I can’t find the configuration / white paper. Is the solution too easy for beeing written down?
    I tryed invain with Groups 1/2, 3/4, 5/6 7/8 because they change the volume of the IN. And this changes the volume of the OUT. Then I read about the DCA and I am sure, that normally they are easy to use…

Would be great to get some help from you!

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

You don’t want DCAs for this, or groups.

Unless I’m missing something, can’t you adjust the Master Output level of your in-ear channel and your drum channel to do what you want?

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

You can not route a signal to a DCA, a DCA is kind of electronic fader remote control. I’m really wondering where you connect your InEars (there are no DCA Outs or similar).
    From your spreadsheet I think InEars are connected to the higher Mix outputs, which is correct and provides individual mixes for each listener. As Mark said, you do not need DCAs to control the volume, just move the master fader of the particular mixes.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

When I have IN 1-5 in one group I can only adjust the volume of the group. If I want to level only my vocals (this is IN 3), I adjust the IN 3; and that has am impact on the OUT 2.
    What I want is: changing the volume of the vocals only in my inear. Without changing the volume on the input channel –> OUT
    I route my inear group s to the seperate outputs: MIX 1 and MIX 2

How would you handle inear monitoring with the same input you use for the output. I think, the inear monitoring group must be independent of the IN level.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

In this video is shown, that every musician on the stage can manage the volumes of the channels they have in theys “groups” by using the Qu-You App.

That is exactly , what I want to do. But how?
    Every musician mixes his own inear sound independentely. And they share the same input signals.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

I’m talking about Mixes not Groups…
    – Select particular Mix
    – Switch channels to be pre-fader on your InEar mixes
    – Adjust channel volumes for this mix as required using channel faders
    – Use Mix’s master fader to adjust overall output volume

Each mix has an independent set of volume controls, if you change IN volume on one mix it does not affect IN volume on any other mix (or LR, which is just another mix).

Sorry to say, but there’s also The Manual with a hopefully clear enough explanation on how to use the send faders on page 24 (functionality is same on QuPac).

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Andreas, you are absolutely right with your idea of using the Mix1, Mix2, etc. for inear-monitoring. I used this config the first time and the volume control of 5 channels worked good. That config worked perfectly with the Qu-Pac controllers.
    But when I use the Qu-You App and select the Mix1, I can only use the Mix1 master fader but not the faders of the 5 channels. Thats why I looked for groups and DCA.
    As you say, I do not need DCA. Thanx for that. The manual says “Qu-You provides personal monitor mix control for musicians and performers on stage. The engineer can still keep an eye on and control each mix at the Qu mixer at any time.”
    So the solution must bei in Mix1 Mix2, etc.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Double tap one of the “wheels” on the QU-You app & select “Assign” in the top right corner. Then select the channels you want to control.
    You can do this with all 4 “wheels”, assigning yourself to the4th “Me” wheel.

E2A – They don’t look like wheels if nothing’s assigned!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

O.K., tonight I will be in my studio and try your suggestions: just route the IN to Mix1, Mix2, etc. And then start the Qu-You app. No DCA, no groups.
    I will tell you ic it works.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Everything works fine now!

I followed your advices and the first step was the solution:
    1. After starting the app Qu-You select Mix1 in the right corner.

That’s so easy! I cant believe that I did not find it by my self.

Thank you all!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.