Independent panning of FX sends

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions Independent panning of FX sends

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Rob T Rob T 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Rob T
    Rob T
    Participant

Right now, the FX sends lack the option to pan a send to the FX. This means that either the sends are mono (which I don’t think is the case, although I haven’t explicitly checked), or the pan is linked to the main L/R panning. Assuming that the sends are stereo with panning linked to the main L/R, it would be good to have the option to set the pan for the FX send to be different from the main L/R. Ideally, this would be done in conjunction with the “stereo aux follows pan rule” feature [ https://community.allen-heath.com/forums/topic/stereo-aux-follows-pan-rule ].

The use case for this is slightly esoteric – I’ll often use a short reverb on an entire ensemble, where panning the ensemble in the artificial room is desired, but pull soloists out of the FX. Keeping all the members of the ensemble panned center in the main L/R mix means that pulling the soloist out of the FX also pans them center (desirable for solos) with a single action. The only drawback to this approach is that the stereo field for the ensemble is narrower than as panned in the FX due to being mixed with a center-panned direct feed.

However, even though the use case is a bit esoteric, this seems like a simple feature to implement, especially if done at the same time as the “stereo aux follows pan rule”, and would make the dedicated FX sends behave essentially identically to the aux sends.

And yes, using a stereo aux to feed the FX unit instead of the FX send is a workaround for this feature request.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.