Independent Headphone mixes

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Independent Headphone mixes

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of gravyface gravyface 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of gravyface
    gravyface
    Participant

Hey all,

Qu-24 user.

Trying to setup fully-independent headphone mixes for the three of us using the 3 stereo Mix Outputs into Behringer P1 personal headphone amps (which are really nice for the money, by the way: 2 x XLR inputs for stereo, nice metal chassis).

By “fully-independent,” I’m more concerned with the individual levels of channels, so the bass player can crank up the Bass DI channel and the kick drum mic, while the guitar player can crank the snare and his guitar room mic, etc., or mute tracks altogether, without affecting the other’s musicians’ mixes.

Can each stereo mix have independently-controlled source channels? i.e. if I route channel 8 “Bass DI” to Mix 5/6 and 7/8, select Mix 7/8 via the Mix select button, and then pull down channel 8’s fader by 2/3s, will that affect 5/6? It appears to be affecting both 5/6 and 7/8 in my preliminary testing with the Qu-Pad on my iPad; I don’t have it near me right now, but could very well have something setup wrong on it.

Sorry, bit confused as to how best to accomplish this given the myriad of options available on this beast.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Check the full manual.

In brief press the mix 5/6 button on the right, then the faders just affect that mix…

Rinse repeat

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

gravyface,
    for the three stereo mixes you are using,…..
    all the channels of each of those mixes needs to be pre-fader, so,
    tap the 5/6 mix button, then on the left side of the console push and hold the PreFade button,
    every channel should light up green, this is indicating that the inputs (that are lit) are pre-fader (they get signal BEFORE the main stereo mix faders. If the channels are not lit, keep holding the Prefade button and tap each channel’s SEL (select) button and make the green LED on.

Ideally, these stereo mixes should all be set to “prefader” so that when changes to the main L/R mimx (audience) are made,,, those changes will have no affect on the headphone mixes.

If the channels were set to post-fader (green light not lit) the main mix faders would affect the headphone mixes.

gravyface
    Participant

Thanks guys.

So if they’re set to post-fader, would that also mean Mix 5/6 would affect 7/8 and vice-versa?

That’s the behaviour I was seeing: my bass player is on 5/6, I’m on 7/8. I hit Mix 7/8 on the Qu-Pad app, then muted the Bass DI channel (8); he said he lost the bass in his cans.

Not sure if this is a Qu-App problem or not. Also, I’m on the 2nd latest version; haven’t upgraded. Maybe I should do that first, then rule out the Qu-App and test out on the board directly.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

No, it only means that the doh level is reflected in the mix input.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

But the mute button is global – you muted foh as well…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Was that for live sound or Studio?

gravyface
    Participant

Ah ok. Mute is global. So faders should operate as expected then, fully-independent between mixes.

This is for studio: mains are not in use (although we do use them PA rehearsal).

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

correct, if channels are set to prefade those channels will not be affected by main L/R faders.

Nothing you can do in one of the mixes will ever affect another mix except L/R…. except global things like mute, gain etc.

Profile photo of MichaelFields
    MichaelFields
    Participant

Hi there! Yes, each stereo mix has independently-controlled source channels. You can check manual for the setup. My friend is having a band and he is using affordable high fidelity headphones for fully-independent headphone mixes.

gravyface
    Participant

Spam bots are getting craftier. ^^^

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.