Independent Gain For Broadcast Mix

Forums Forums Avantis Forums Avantis General Discussions Independent Gain For Broadcast Mix

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jt Jt 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jt
    Jt
    Participant

Apologies if this topic has been discussed and addressed. Unfortunately I’m just not having much luck on finding a legitimate answer anywhere on the web.

My current situation is our church is transitioning to an Avantis soundboard from Soundcraft Si Impact. We currently are running livestream through Logic Pro via another Si Impact, which is just to feed the signal to the computer since we don’t have gain control.

Once we switch to the Avantis, we are patching everything through Dante.

Recently I saw a video of Bethel Church and how they are running a 3 way analog split to a analog board that, they can use for pre amps then to a DAC then to Pro Tools.

So, with that, please be as detailed with answers as possible, how do we get independent gain control with the setup of Avantis and Dante? Will we need a second A&H board to talk to the Avantis? Are their features with the A&H boards that allows a second board to have gain or trim options?

We choose to do this install ourselves, so we are still learning alot about the A&H ecosystems and what we need to make things work as they should.

Much appreciated in advance for all the help and support to get this process started!

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

how do we get independent gain control with the setup of Avantis and Dante?

I am making the assumption you mean independent “level” controls for each mix.

On Avantis, a Matrix is the best solution. This allows not only independent gain, but allows you to modify aspects of the mix for your broadcast feed, like adding a little more drums etc. The Matrix mixes on Avantis and dLive are like hybrid matrix/aux mixes as they allow not only adding auxes, groups, and other mixes, but independent input channels as well.

Start with a mix of your LR bus going into the broadcast matrix (pre fader), and you have independent level controls for each mix. Additionally you can add “more” of things to the broadcast mix (without effecting the house mix) to help it get where it needs to be.

Profile photo of Jt
    Jt
    Participant

Thank you for the response.

What I was referring to was, say for instance the pre amp is hot on channel 1, FOH, that would mean on the livestream side, it would also be hot since FOH would be control and livestream wouldn’t be able to adjust it.

So in that instance, would we have to purchase a second Allen and Heath board, like an SQ 5 and use say like the tie lies or patch through Dante with another card on the SQ 5 thus the SQ 5 would now have digital trim while the Avantis would be pre amp?

If that makes more since.

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

Each physical input socket is equipped with a preamp and the AD converter. So there is only one input gain,no matter where you will route the digital signal to. So when you pass the signal via tie lines or dante to the second console, this second console has to work with the same analog gain asthe first one. You only can adjust the digital gain via the trim of the input channel, but if the preamp is set too hot, you will have the same on both consoles.
    The only way to have full independent gain on both consoles is to use analog splits before you reach the preamps of both consoles.

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

What I was referring to was, say for instance the pre amp is hot on channel 1, FOH, that would mean on the livestream side, it would also be hot since FOH would be control and livestream wouldn’t be able to adjust it.

There are individual TRIM controls for this very purpose. The gain should be set optimally for that particular pre-amp, and then trim can be used to further make adjustments, especially in the case of digital audio splits, or sending a single input to multiple channels.

Profile photo of Jt
    Jt
    Participant

Much appreciated on both responses!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.