Include MIDI faders in DCA assignments

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions Include MIDI faders in DCA assignments

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of KeithJ A&H KeithJ A&H 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mattziii
    Mattziii
    Participant

So that DCA spills can also contain MIDI faders for efficient workflow.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@Mattziii

This is an interesting idea and I can see how it could help some workflows with DCA spills as you say, but I don’t think we’d ever add this.

The reason being that although DCA’s are often described (even by us) as remote controls for faders, both channel faders and the DCA faders are actually controlling a gain element.
    [DCA = Digitally Controlled Amplifier, where the digital control is generally a fader and the amplifier is a gain stage in the core.]
    A MIDI channel strip fader on the other hand, just sends out CC control messages via USB and over the network.
    MIDI is control only, there is no amplification because there is no audio, a MIDI fader is not controlling anything in the core and so there is nothing for the DCA to control in parallel.
    Therefore, even if you did assign a MIDI channel strip to a DCA (and have it show when spilling), the DCA master would have no effect on it, which could be very confusing.

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of Chris
    Chris
    Participant

There is at least one series of mixers from another company that lets you update DAW fader automations while recording via the mixer using each channel’s regular fader. So that while recording a piano, the post mic amp level would be recorded, but fader changes on the mixer would also be recorded in the DAW. This is a feature that I would also appreciate for when I record live shows and want to adjust the recorded mix without starting from scratch on levels.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@chris

Well you’re in luck!
    As well as the MIDI channel strips on SQ, all level, mute, pan/balance and mix assignments send and respond to MIDI.
    You can use NRPN messages without needing to understand them by recording all MIDI output into a DAW whilst making adjustments (which can then be played back).
    You can get into the details if needed with the MIDI protocol (https://www.allen-heath.com/media/SQ-MIDI-Protocol-Issue4.pdf).
    Or you can use the A&H MIDI Control app (https://www.allen-heath.com/midi-control/) with the CC translator option, which means the DAW side uses simple CC and note on/off messaging and all the NRPN messaging is handled by the app.

Thanks,
    Keith.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.