Improving the EQ and filter

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive feature suggestions Improving the EQ and filter

This topic contains 30 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Zistan Zistan 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of erniep-23
    erniep-23
    Participant

Sure, anything is possible. But the iLive version of the crossover section was less than ideal in patching and management. I would rather see implementation of things this console lacks on the console front. A modern RTA for example… interesting EQ modelling that could be inserted in via the FXs if need be. A latching Width button on the C series EQ area, A clock that doesn’t lose time.

No speaker manufacturer has done that because…Why would they? If you need FIR filters for your boxes you would buy what ever they spec. System perfomance issues usually can’t be solved on the console.

I purchased Dlives for one reason. They are fantastic consoles that punch above their weight.

Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

I am still in favour of a deep processing element for loudspeaker control.
    In order to work professionally, you don’t necessarily have to use loudspeakers that absolutely need an external system power amplifier with DSP.

But I also find the demand for FIR filters somewhat exaggerated. if a loudspeaker needs something like this, I would of course use a systemamp.

a watch that doesn’t have to be adjusted all the time, but I would also like to have one ๐Ÿ˜‰

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

I would like to hear something from A&H about the DEEP processing EQ…

Profile photo of Fabulophone
    Fabulophone
    Participant

DEEP processing EQ’s sounds like the sexiest feature suggestion in this topic, indeed ๐Ÿ˜‰
    but the most useful things before this would be definitely : on/off switches for each filter + RTA on the PEQ window.

Wolfgang
    Participant

I already suggested “RTA on the PEQ window” in 2008, for iLive. At that time I was probably the only one…. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    This has not yet been implemented, but I see that more and more colleagues are asking for it.
    in any case, this increases the probability that we will get this useful solution!

and concerning the DEEP-EQ: A&H doesn’t answer, this allows two possibilities:
    A) they are already working on it and do not want to publish it yet
    B) they don’t care at all.
    ๐Ÿ˜‰

Profile photo of Brad
    Brad
    Participant

+1 for RTA on the PEQ window.

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

Most professional amplifier manufacturers have DSP on board to deal with this, then there are numerous processor, controller manufacturers that provide an external solution for legacy amplifiers. Usually with remote software capabilities and integration with analasys software. Labgruppen, Lake and Smaart come to mind but I am sure other brands are available.๐Ÿ˜Ž

The whole eggs in one basket thing comes to mind.
    I would heartily agree with a request for a good multi band PEQ as an effect rack item reminiscent of the old BSS Varicurve. 8 to 12 band mono or stereo dependant on use, as an option in the GEQ section would be another use for those of us Luddites that donโ€™t like graphic EQ units.

Ian B.

Wolfgang
    Participant

the charm of the complete equalization in the console lies in the extremely short latency. the direct response of my monitor speakers is very important to me. therefore, I have always avoided external amps with DSP, apart from small exceptions. my experience was that less latency on stage means less volume.
    I can be wrong, I didn’t research it scientifically. but I had a few musicians who enjoyed the more direct sound – already with iLive.

but of course, modern DSP amps also work with very low latency, the topic is generally better perceived everywhere. nevertheless, I would like to stick with this logic personally.
    and therefore I would really appreciate a deep-processing solution.

for PA systems I use always external equipment.

SteffenR
    Participant

some of us travel the world with the console and sometimes they will find a system EQ very useful
    and sometimes there is no PA system processor to be used

EAW tried it with their console, even the X/M-32 can control PA sytems and Yamaha has a Lake Card
    so why not build a tool…

Profile photo of tor
    tor
    Participant

Would it not be possible to (kind of) build your own processor with Matrix distribution? I know it is not the same, but I think EQ emulations/variations is a far more pressing feature. The new yamaha firmware is AWSOME with the different EQ modes, this would be very very welcome on the dLive, as I think the very clean nature of the console need the tools to take it into different directions. We have got LOTS of compression models to choose from, so I am actually a little puzzled that the EQ has not seen the same creative development.

Profile photo of Jens-Droessler
    Jens-Droessler
    Participant

I second that. As mentioned in another thread some of us travel only with the mixer, using the venue’s PA, and are happy about every bit of control we can get wihin the mixer.

FIR would be nice too, bit one or two bands in the HF range would be enough I think. Even when using my own PA I often use the matrices to drive all zones, even multiple sections of line array hangs. So basically what many people do with a Meyer Galileo. And why not? Most of the needed faculties are already there: Lots of outputs, lots of matrices. Now if we only had a way to change HF within a LA (zone-wise) in a coherent, non-phaseshifting way… I even could imagine people buying a CDM just for that instead of a Galileo! It IS another market to get a foot in the door, isn’t it?

Profile photo of aisle-6
    aisle-6
    Participant

I agree that some EQ emulations would be fantastic. As stated, these would be great (Pultec, 1073, 1084, SSL, ISA EQ) but I would add to that the API 5500 or similar having something with interesting Q functions. An asymmetrical EQ would be fabulous for output busses.

SteffenR
    Participant

just to remember…
    some points are already realised

SteffenR
    Participant

I bring this up again
    since we are waiting more than a year for 1.9

๐Ÿ˜‰

Profile photo of Zistan
    Zistan
    Participant

New cool dynamic plugin in 1.9, but EQ – not sure ๐Ÿ˜‰

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.