iLive preamp failures

Forums Forums iLive Forums iLive troubleshooting iLive preamp failures

This topic contains 25 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of DJC DJC 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of David Haughton
    David Haughton
    Keymaster

Just testing. Please ignore

Profile photo of David Haughton
    David Haughton
    Keymaster

Testing again. Please ignore. Thanks.

Profile photo of Sparky
    Sparky
    Participant

Hi, did anybody get to the bottom of this, I have similar problems with gain on preamps, did anybody find out what the 24v mod was or the 10 euro fix kit.

Any help would be great.

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Still actual? I might look up the kit code

Profile photo of batManu
    batManu
    Participant

So, the kit exists, according to A&H tech, but getting it in my country was impossible! It technically would have cost me €35 a set (needed 2) and A&H UK told me to talk to their distributor in my country and purchase it from them!

I got in touch with them, they told me it is available, gave me the price, I agreed and put in a written order. They told me it would take 3-4 weeks because they don’t have a lot of shipments in that period, I agreed because I’ve been sitting on the issue for a while and could wait another month. Long story short, despite calling every other week and being told that it missed the shipping or whatever BS reason, after 6 months I gave up. I started the process in January 2018… It’s been 18 months.

Anyway, finally asked a friend who is a wiz with electronics and he was able to check and fix all of them, the cost was about €20 plus labor (which he didn’t tax me for) but he did tell me it was a bit of a headache to unsolder the old broken parts and solder the new ones… Lack of Pb in the solder made it difficult!

Anyway, not sure how to help you, but I would recommend finding a good electronist and I understand that the parts are generic so if he/she knows what they are doing, it should be an easy fix!

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

That is true, the parts are really catalog items, nothing fancy.

Profile photo of Paul
    Paul
    Participant

Greetings, can anyone give any info on what the 24V mod is? A&H P/N? Or what parts it contains, and I can just source the components separately?

ddff_lv: Do you have a P/N of the kit you originally spoke of for 10euro?

If have 3 different boards all with one failure each. I’m very comfortable with doing the board level repair, however just looking for some direction before I start from scratch on reverse engineering the preamps.

One preamp doesn’t output phantom at all, one doesn’t pass signal at all, and the other is very inconsistent with gain setting.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hello Paul,
    The ’24v mod’ is not related to preamps. It was an engineering change issued to distribution several years ago pertaining to non-modular main PCBs.
    We have a general preamp service kit for non modular IO PCBs, part number 004-495. This can be ordered through our distributor for your country.

Where to buy

Best regards,
    A&H Product Support

Profile photo of HeathMoore
    HeathMoore
    Participant

Hi Paul,
    We no longer stock iLives in our inventory but a number of years ago we were experiencing a number of pre amp failures on our iDR32 racks and never on the iDR16 racks and we never actually determined why although once this mod was done too the racks while in for repair we never had the same issue again. Where are you located as we still have racks and a couple of surfaces we no longer need and would be happy to sell them if you are interested.

Cheers,
    Heath Moore

Profile photo of Paul
    Paul
    Participant

Hi Heath, we are in the US, midwest. I’ll send you a PM definitely interested in a backup or two.

Profile photo of DJC
    DJC
    Participant

I have an iDR that is older but now “squeals” when applying phantom or pad to every channel we tested, coming out the audio outputs. It takes quite a while to dissipate, about 4 seconds, each time a change is made. Input PCB rev D – is this fixed by installing the 24v or input kits?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.