iLive or GLD

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GCumbee GCumbee 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jason
    Jason
    Participant

I checked back through the archives, and only found a couple of similar threads, but they were older, so I thought I’d start a new thread.

Our church is building a new sanctuary along with a new PA. We have an AVL integrator that is spec’ing the system. As you might expect, we’re on a relatively tight budget. We had gotten word from the initial proposal that an A&H board had been spec’d, and were under the impression it was an iLive T112 system. Now it’s sounding like they’re spec’ing a GLD 112 system. In our current sanctuary we’ve got a 48 channel A&H GL3800, so 48 channels was kind of our minimum input count. We do relatively large productions Christmas and Easter, and we’ve come close to maxing out our current board, so the GLD is just minimally meeting our channel count needs.

Besides I/O counts, what other major differences are there between the iLive and GLD lines? It looks like the iLive has the dynamic EQ and multi-band compressors. Otherwise they seems pretty similarly spec’d. We’d be interested in being able to do virtual sound check and multi-track recording, and it seems like either system would handle that with the addition of a Dante card. We currently use the Aviom system, but we’re considering moving to the ME’s, along with a few wireless IEM’s mixed from FOH (potentially moving to all wireless IEMs direct out of the board without personal mixers… so output counts could become a factor). It also looks like both lines have offline editors/computer interfacing capabilities, as well as multiple iPad apps.

The A&H boards both seem to represent the best value in their respective market segments. It would appear that the price difference between a 48 channel GLD 112 and a 48 channel iLive T112 isn’t enormous (~$7500 from what I can tell). Trying to decide if it’s worth the fight for the iLive over the GLD

Profile photo of dshriver
    dshriver
    Participant

Hi Jason,

I have an iLive in my venue. I use it several times a week and love the system. I’ve only mixed one time on the GLD so my ability to compare is somewhat limited. The iLive has much more flexibility with input counts. With dual mixracks you can get up to 128 inputs. The ability to use the xDR-16 expander is also extremely nice. The xDR makes for a quick stage box to drop on stage and it also adds the ability to have another card slot. There are a few more features on the iLive, like the multi-band comps, dynamic eq, side chain inputs for gates/comps. It also has a de-esser for each channel.

The big difference is the I/O though. If you are really fine with 48 inputs then frankly I think the GLD is the better value. The GLD is a new system and has faster DSP and a better editor and iPad app.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

What happened to the other thread?

Profile photo of dshriver
    dshriver
    Participant

Its in the GLD forums

iLive or GLD

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Oops. Thanks. Confused me on iPhone. Missed that he had double posted it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.