iLive or GLD

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions iLive or GLD

This topic contains 29 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GSLC-Tech GSLC-Tech 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jcarter
    jcarter
    Participant

Jason, Bob—

The GLD can save (and recall) I/O patching on a per-scene basis, so it’s definitely possible to swap between preamp sockets and Dante inputs at various times in the show. The challenge, as Bob has alluded to, is in the management (i.e., ensuring that every scene is saved with the correct I/O patch).

It’s probably only realistic to do in a worship setting if there’s something like a drama that ties up a completely self-contained block of inputs that you’re only patching in for one or two spots in the service.

Profile photo of Jason
    Jason
    Participant

We actually do large events a couple times a year that really do need lots of channels. We got our 48 channel board because our old 32 channel board couldn’t handle enough inputs for our Easter Pageant several years ago. Those kinds of events involve 12-15 headset mics, full pit orchestra/rhythm section, choir, vocal soloists, audio playback, etc. Those are the kinds of things that tend to grow each year, and we’re very close to maxing that board out right now.

The system will be installed in a new sanctuary, so new cabling will have to be run. Obviously the cost of a couple CAT5 cables is much lower than copper for 48+ mic channels. A digital snake would be preferred, but not required. In terms of monitoring, initially we’ll probably have the band on personal mixers, and the vocalists/leader on wireless IEMs run from FOH. I don’t foresee us ever having a separate monitor mix position, but I think it is very likely that at some point in the future the band could move to all IEMs mixed from FOH, so we could potentially need 8-10 sends for IEMs (mix of stereo and mono). On the A&H boards, FX sends don’t burn auxes, right? But you do still need returns… The FX can be returned to “short” channels – are they adequate for an FX return (i.e. full EQ)?

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

FX sends and returns are totally separate from Auxes.
    With reference to someone saying to gain more inputs from Dante, the console can still only mix 48 channels even if you have 64 from Dante. If you only have one console then where is Dante coming from anyway?

Profile photo of jcarter
    jcarter
    Participant

@gcumbee
    Dante could be coming from lots of places, even in a single console setup. Some of the newer Shure wireless receivers have Dante outputs, so you could conceivably patch those in through Dante rather than a mic preamp… there are also external A/D converters (such as the Focusrite RedNet) that have Dante I/O.

@jason
    FX “short” returns have full PEQ (identical to the input strip PEQ) but no dynamics or delay.

FX sends don’t count as mix outputs (maximum of 20 available) but they *do* count as mix buses (maximum of 30 available). Once you’re above 10 buses tied up in FX sends (one stereo send counts as two buses) then you’ll start limiting the number of available auxes accordingly. Play around with the editor software to get a feel for how it works.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Wasn’t sure what he was really going to do with Dante. Still can only mix 48. Seems like a trusty good old patchbay would be sufficient and overall cheaper. That is what we are going to do at the church I am demoing a 112 to next week. They have about 60 lines available but only need around 48 max at Christmas and Easter. Less than 32 on regular Sundays.

Profile photo of BobWitte
    BobWitte
    Participant

Take an event where you need 53 inputs for the event – BUT at any given time never max out if 48. Also, and like most church related events, you have a short time to load another show/scene in the GLD between set changes or during a short break or…… THEN you can use Dante to handle some of the “over flow” with I/O or wireless units with Dante or..

Dante inteface is useful in other ways for multichannel recording, virtual soundchecks etc. But there is a price like anything else.

For GCumbee’s example, as long as they stay withing the 48 channels, a patchbay on stage would make sense – although anyone today that maxes out at 48 channels and is buying a new mixer is limiting any future growth and that is a pretty high risk in my estimation and I would try to steer a client to invest in the future. Way too many clients max out way to fast as they start implementing new technology or have more and bigger events that require more channels.

Profile photo of Jason
    Jason
    Participant

Hey guys – sorry to resurrect an old thread. I was just doing some reading on the Focusrite RedNet stuff, and see they have a model that has 8 mic pres. Is this an option for increasing the physical I/O for the GLD? I realize you can still only mix 48 channels, but theoretically this would allow for additional channels to be added via Dante that could be patched in via scene changes? That could be real handy for those couple times a year when we need a few extra inputs.

Also, I see that V1.4 firmware is supposed to add some of the nifty features the iLive had (multi-band compressors, dynamic, EQ, etc). So all that leads me to believe that the GLD is continuing to evolve into an even better piece of equipment.

BobWitte
    Participant

Yes – added channels inputs, still can only mix 48. I believe that the preamp settings will need to be done via The Rednet stuff somehow (they have an app I assume?). Otherwise, I believe this would work. The Rednet stuff is pretty pricey for a couple times a year though.

Profile photo of Jason
    Jason
    Participant

Yeah, from a price standpoint, a RedNet 4 at $2500 for 8 pres is steep. Are there other Dante preamps/interfaces available that are cheaper?

BobWitte
    Participant

Not sure the price and only two channels:
    https://www.four-audio.com/en/products/dbs1.html

Optional 4 on this one:
    https://www.four-audio.com/en/products/dbo1.html

Just a quick search – but not much so far. Check the Audinate site (I ran out of time)….

BobWitte
    Participant

What does another AR84 cost?

BobWitte
    Participant

What does another AR84 cost?

Profile photo of Jason
    Jason
    Participant

Architecturally, I didn’t think another AR84 was an option?

BobWitte
    Participant

Just unplug one AR84 Ethernet cable and plug the other one in when changing scenes when you need the different inputs! I have no idea if this would work, but at $2500 for 8 channels… plus you get a spare AR84.

Profile photo of GSLC-Tech
    GSLC-Tech
    Participant

Remember that 4 of the inputs are not XLR, but rather rca.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.