DLive iOS app to control dLive C2500 surface?

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions DLive iOS app to control dLive C2500 surface?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Paalar
    Paalar
    Participant

The topic says it all.
    Status of this app? Current? Legacy? Forgotten we ever developed it ware?
    What’s it in aid of?
    What is it compatible with?

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

With dLive you don’t control the surfaces. The iOS app directly controls the mixrack that it’s linked with.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Why do you need a phone app?

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

Why don’t you simply read the information on the Apple store? It’s all there – no one is hiding any of this.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/dlive-mixpad/id1162162026

Profile photo of Paalar
    Paalar
    Participant

Thanks Brian! I only read the A&H description, and got confused! Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

oh he was searching an iPad app… it confuses me this, iOS and iPadOS and MacOS

Profile photo of Paalar
    Paalar
    Participant

.. and if some of you still wonder: The iPad app is great! In some ways more intuitive than the Dlive console IMHO. I’m an old hand at this, coming late to the Drive universe, and see that it’s not a 1:1 translation of anything I have known. I guess this will be for both good and bad, we’ll see!
    The most obvious hurdle is the new paradigm built into the user interface, it’s not like Windows or Apple OS, it’s A&H! That’s not necessarily bad, but it explains my joy at finding the iPad app!

🙂

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

oh he was searching an iPad app… it confuses me this, iOS and iPadOS and MacOS

I agree. I also think it is unnecessary for Allen and Heath to have made the MixPad app be iPad only. Obviously it will be harder to use on a cell phone vs a tablet, but this is an obvious and understandable limitation. If a person is in a jam and needs to use their phone to control the board for some reason, they will be happy it is available and understand the size limitations. By making it iPad only, you don’t even give the person a choice. At least give people a choice!

I dig the iPad app for some things. It has some awkward limitations if you’re leaving the desk and need to run the show. For those situations I’ve used touchOSC coupled with Osculator on a host machine somewhere on the network. (I have a mac mini that functions as OSC/Midi host for any number of communications between a/v devices on the network.) Any OSC app will do though.

While the AH ios app lets you customize layers, giving you quick access to faders you might need in a pinch, there is no capacity for cues or custom buttons to be triggered, (which you *can* do with TouchOSC.) IMO it’s a major deficiency.

Given the anemic iOS app, and the inherent limitations of TouchOSC, (you have to create everything you want to control in advance, no storing cues, but you can trigger them,) The ideal mobile solution is a surface pro running director. It’s what we’ve done at our larger campus so the engineer can leave the desk/wander the auditorium and make adjustments. It also has some weird quirks, (Have had some issues storing cues, for instance,) but is a lot more feature rich on the go.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

there is no capacity for cues or custom buttons to be triggered

MAJOR blunder with the app.

The ideal mobile solution is a surface pro running director

Until you lose connectivity.

I’d like to see A&H step it up, but likely the limitations are baked into the design. That would answer why the cheaper SQ iPad app is far superior.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.