IEM Processing.

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD feature suggestions IEM Processing.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GCumbee GCumbee 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I think I might have asked for this before. Since the GLD has no provision for a control room out like ALT OUT you have to use the IEM as a control output for broadcast work. I would like to have some processing mainly a GEQ on this to tune speakers. I currently have to tote a 1/3 oct. EQ in a case with me to do that. Would be nice to have it built in.

Profile photo of pilotspike
    pilotspike
    Participant

How about a dedicated aux bus off the console and control it with an iPad running OneMix? We have done that for our production group and it seems to work well. It gives them EQ, compression on that bus.

John

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

But no PAFL? I need that as a control room monitor to solo channels.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

It sounds like a more suitable way to solve that would be to actually add “Control Room out” to the mix bus assignment page.

Chris

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I wish that was the case. We need a control room out with PAFL and at least some EQ processing.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

If you’ve got free pair of ins and outs plus two spare channels you can take the IEM mix back into a pair of channels and use the post PEQ direct out to feed the monitors. Out of interest, how much EQ are you needing and what do you currently use to do it? Are you carrying your own control room monitors or using house stuff?

Chris

Profile photo of MikeShand
    MikeShand
    Participant

Aha! There’s an example of where you might want per channel control of direct out take-off point (see dLive thread). In the above circumstances you probably wouldn’t want ALL your direct outs post PEQ.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Chris. I currently carry a pair of Genelec monitors. I use a RANE stereo 1/3oct EQ from the IEM socket out to it, then to speakers. It’s just to tweak the speakers a little for the room I am in. Location work. I have a special tuning setup I run using filtered 1/3oct noise. Developed by a friend of mine years ago. I compare that to just straight pink noise out of the console read on a 1/3oct analyzer.

I understand the method you describe. I usually have the channels. Just never like to add more in the chain if I don’t have to. Latency is not a real problem since for TV I usually have to add 1.5-2.5 frames of delay anyway. Modern digital video switchers and other gear build up delay. We usually just do a test before showtime with a tight shot and have someone speak and I dial in the delay visually to get close.

Thanks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘GLD feature suggestions’ is closed to new topics and replies.