IEM Problem

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions IEM Problem

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Roy Roy 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

Hi all,

Over the last 3 or so years I have sort of dabbled in using an IEM system on gig’s/shows I perform at, I have had some good and poor rather than bad experiences. That was then, over the course of the last 12 months we have had a lineup change where the new guys suggested to lighten the load in the van and to cut setup time down that we should revisit the IEM route.

In the past I just took a mono feed from aux 3 into my IEM system.

So for the revisit I decided to use the 3 stereo aux’s for best effect, being able to pan instruments and vox’s in you ears to where they are situated on stage would hopefully give you a more natural feel, but with your own vox and instrument panned centre to cut through overall mix. This seemed to work for the other two when I was setting all this up at sound check last night, but for me it wasn’t going to plan. I was taking a left & right out of aux 7/8 into the left/right of my IEM transmitter, but for whatever reason my own voice or at all anything would pan, the lead vocalists vox was at one volume regardless of where the fader for his channel within my own mix was set. I could bring it all the way down to the bottom and he was still really loud in my mix. The only way to solve this was to mute him.

This was the case when the other vocalist started to speak over his mic, it was loud in my IEM’s, yet there’s worked fine.

Our IEM systems are only budget, bit apart from the above, have worked well for me in the past.

They are:

2x LD Systems MEI 1000G2
    1x ” ” MEI 100G2

I have the stereo aux’s set to prefade and identical to aux’s 1-4 that I have been using on my QU16/QU-SB since the release of the former without any bother.

Can anyone with more experience in using IEM’s shed any light on this?

Thanks
    Lee

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

What desk are you using ?

Giga

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

Sorry, QU-SB.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

Had a thought, I possibly have the FOH being sent to my aux.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

No, that’s impossible. You most likely have one the groups assigned to your IEM mix

Giga

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Had a thought, I possibly have the FOH being sent to my aux.

You can’t really directly route the main LR mix to a mix/aux out on any of the QU mixer surfaces, if your using the outputs on a stage box those can be assigned to anything.

To double check, you were connected directly to the mix 7&8 xlr connectors directly on the QU SB and not using a stage box?

In the mix set up menu where you can select global pre or post fade there is also a scrolling selection window where you can select the pick off point with in the channel for that mix, it sounds like you may have it in the post pre-amp setting generally monitor mixes are set for pre eq as the pick off point.

You said the only way to take care of the loud vocal was to mute that channel, when you muted that vocal channel did that also mute the vocals in any other mixes or the mains?

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

Hi Mike,

I set up my QU-SB and IEM system to see and find out the problem, mix 7&8 set to pre eq and post eq in the scrolling settings. Not using a stage box and using XLR’s from QU to IEM.

I plugged a mic in and it worked fine, I could pan from left to right, I plugged the mic into the other channels that were causing the problems and they worked normally. I then rigged my bass guitar up, again, I could raise the volume up and down and pan from left to right. So going off today’s findings there is nothing wrong and should hopefully work problem free next weekend.

I still had my old IEM eq settings saved from a couple of yrs ago, they loaded up just fine.

Who knows!

I will report back after the next show.

Thanks

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

Performed this weekends shows with IEM’s and everything worked as I anticipated, no problems at all. So all is well for the time being.

Profile photo of Roy
    Roy
    Participant

I had this problem with a QU 16 once, but only with wedges – one of the lead vocalists was cominf through the monitor so loud it was clearly audible and sounded a bit naff. Yet my faders for that monitor had zero effect. Next show, it was fine. Go figure.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.