IEM/monitor app

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Seth Seth 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of xav2
    xav2
    Participant

Avantis mixer is dedicated to medium size rooms, theatres, live music, and churches we don t have monitor tech.
    We need IEM/monitor app for Android phones and Apple.

Thank you

Profile photo of Yvo
    Yvo
    Participant

Hi,

There are already solutions available for this.

There is the one mix app, which allows artist to adjust their own mixes.
    There is MixPad, which allows a second operator to control the several mixes from an iPad.
    There is Director software which you could run on a computer, which allows you control over the full feature set.
    You could build your own custom ‘app’ by using the ‘Custom Control’ software.

Could you explain what you are missing and would like to see in a dedicated IEM/Monitor app?

Profile photo of Yvo
    Yvo
    Participant

I forgot to mention that Mix Station is another option

Profile photo of lightingman117
    lightingman117
    Participant

+1 Avantis4You

All other options are annoying & complicated to use.

Profile photo of ad.am
    ad.am
    Participant

Own app by custom control annoying and complicated? that depends how you create that app…
    And mixing station is great, very customizable app. It costs a little, but worth it.

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

My need for a monitor app is this, I have musicians with ME-1s. My singers have IEMs that I feed by Aux feeds. There are 8 singers. I would like for them to have control of what they hear, but not control of my entire board. So MixPad is not an option. If I used OneMix, I would need to buy 8 IPADs. Perhaps if MixPad had setup options where I could control what the singers accessed, and limit it to only those 8 aux feeds… The singers could share an IPAD, select their mix, adjust it, but not have access to anything else.

Profile photo of Seth
    Seth
    Participant

I want to do another +1 for some kind of Avantis4You app

There are several other options and I have been playing around with them. But coming from SQ5, there is nothing I’ve seen tha is as plug and play as the SQ4You app. Also it works so well on both iPhone and iPad.

Profile photo of AntiochPHX-TD
    AntiochPHX-TD
    Participant

+ 1,000,000

We moved to Avantis from an X32 (huge upgrade), and needing to acquire iPads for our frontline vocalists, then keeping those iPads straight as to which is assigned to which pack, sometimes having to redo the configuration in OneMix, and needing the admin login to do that. It’s a pain in the rear, and an Avantis4You would be amazing. iPhone and Android both, please.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

If you are using onboard busses for your monitors, then I really suggest you look at the custom control app. The downside is that it takes a lot of effort to design the “system” to look/function the way that you want it to, but once that initial design process is done, the app works great. It is available on all of the common OS platforms out there and it is free to use.

Our church originally started out running monitors via FOH busses and used the Custom Control app at that time. We then moved away from that and had monitors being run on an X32 Rack (connected via Dante) and we had to use the Behringer monitor app during this time. We have just recently moved back to using the FOH busses and the Custom Control app again. I am happy with the change back.

Here are some screenshots of the original design I used. https://imgur.com/gallery/FJX26Wk I have not taken any screenshots of the new design (although it is very similar honestly). Users can select their monitor mix using the tabs on the top of the screen, and then can access all of the individual input channels using the tabs on the bottom of the screen. On the new design, I added another input tab (listed first) that is “customized” for each musician based on what inputs they use the most.

I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Profile photo of Seth
    Seth
    Participant

After a few weeks with my Avantis, here are a couple things that would be immensely helpful for using it as both Monitors and FOH.

1. MCAs; This would be such a step forward. Each person on stage being able to turn down all the drums in their ears without needing to touch 8 faders. This one upgrade would be incredibly useful in both the CC configs and the One mix app.
    2. One Mixes configurations hosted on the console instead of individual iPads. The configurations can all accessed by any iPad on the system and also be build from on one Admin iPad. The ability modify someones app on the fly from a another iPad would be amazing. This is kind of what CC has the ability to do (@brian you did this quite well) but if every single owner did not have to create there own monitor app in CC it would be so helpful. Especially since, I would imagine, allot of people will be using the console for both FOH and Monitors. I also thought this would be rad for SQ4You. (Perhaps the layout in the app could be tied to the Aux Channel internally on the console?)
    3. More Users; I would love to have the 32 users that I have for AHM. Its super helpful to allow access with in the CC apps. (If OneMix gets a major upgrade I don’t think this will be as useful)

I know some of these are like system changes and probably not feasible, but just tossing out ideas.

Since I am sending a bunch of critiques, I also want to say, I really enjoy working with both the SQ and Avantis products. A&H you guys are doing a great job! And I am excited to see what happens with both consoles over the next few years.

@AntiochPHX-TD one thing you can do to help with this is change the background of each iPad so it says which pack it is associated with. It helps clear up allot of confusion.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

Seth – that is great feedback and I agree with you 100%.

I’m hopeful that MCAs will be coming soon. That functionality has finally made it onto the DLive, so it isn’t a stretch to think A&H will bring it to the Avantis eventually.

I will say that using the app Mixing Station will give you MCA functionality right now. That being said, I personally don’t like using Mixing Station for each musician’s personal monitor solution because every person has to buy a license and that is asking a lot in a church where we have a rotation of musicians. I use it as the sound engineer however and have a screen set up for “monitors” with a MCA for all inputs on the selected monitor mix. I use it when the musician has maxed out a particular instrument and still needs “more”. I use the MCA to turn everything down (which gives more upward range again for all the channels) and then tell the musician to turn their headphone volume up.

Users – I often wonder why A&H limited it to 10 users. That’s more than enough for FOH use, but usually not enough to give each band member a login. At our church we solved this by making all the musicians use the same login, and as you have seen I have designed the CC app to allow access to all the monitor mixes. This works, but it’s easy for band members to forget to select their mix before making changes which can cause a lot of confusion! It would be much easier to have a unique login for each musician that would give them access to only their monitor mix but I would need a lot more than 10 logins to do this. 32 would be a good number…..

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

I got updated screenshots of my Custom Control musician’s personal monitor design this morning while at church. While there are only small difference between the old and new version, I like the new version much better. It’s the little things like having the meter look like part of the fader instead of being next to the fader which make a big difference IMHO.

I am happy to share this config file with anyone that wants it. Just send me a PM with your email address and I’ll be happy to forward it to you.

Allen & Heath Custom Control design for musician’s personal monitors – updated

Profile photo of Seth
    Seth
    Participant

First off : Thank you to both @Yvo and @brian for turning me on to Mixing Station. This app is rad.

Second : @brian You said that we get a MCA kind of function out of the app, I am not seeing that. Can you elaborate abit for me?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.