iDR-16 with iDR-8 and single PL-Anet controller

Forums Forums iLive Forums iLive general discussions iDR-16 with iDR-8 and single PL-Anet controller

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Leon BigEars A&H Leon BigEars A&H 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of checkers
    checkers
    Participant

Hi all, new here. Didn’t see this covered anywhere in any technical documentation or forum posts, so I’m hoping folks here can help me out.

In short, I’m designing a new sound system for a local bar and looking at integrating the iDR-8 and iDR-16 side-by-side. Essentially, what I envision is the iDR-16 will be used for the ‘stage’, and the iDR-8 will be used to distribute sound to the different ‘zones’ in the bar (primarily TVs, but live band via iDR-16 when appropriate). The iDR-8 will be on 24/7 and I had planned to attach a PL-10 controller to the PL-Anet port to allow the bartender to control the individual zone volumes. When they have live music, the iDR-16 will be turned on, and audio will be delivered to the iDR-8 via MMO audio out (just L/R master). Powered mains will be attached directly to the iDR-16 outputs for the stage mains/monitors, and a couple separate amps will be attached directly to the iDR-8 for the zone speakers throughout the rest of the bar. Here’s the snag I’m hitting:

I would like the PL-10 controller to be able to control the volume of the stage mains as well as the zones. I have not used PL-Anet before and don’t have the necessary equipment available to physically test on, so I’m hoping that someone here can tell me if this is possible. I was planning to plug the PL-10 into the PL-Anet port of the iDR-8, and then somehow allow it to also control the iDR-16. Can it be done, or do I need a separate PL-Anet controller for the iDR-16?

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

Hi checkers, perhaps this pdf would help answer your query .https://www.allen-heath.com/media/Remote+unit+PL+control.pdf

RayS

Profile photo of checkers
    checkers
    Participant

Awesome, thanks RayS! Exactly what I was looking for.

Profile photo of Leon BigEars A&H
    Leon BigEars A&H

Inter-unit control is possible if both the iDR8 and iDR16 are networked together (by a simple cat5 or via a LAN).
    but as the iDR16 is going to be switched off and on when needed and the iDR8 is going to run 24/7 it might be beneficial to control the stage mains level at all times using the iDR8 if you have enough IO to do that and the rest of the zones. That way the iDR8 is the main venue systems controller, and the iDR16 is the band and stage foldback mixer (maybe via iPad). Don’t forget you can use the balanced TRS outs on the iDR8 too with full processing, giving you 10 outputs if needed. But I am guessing you want to run the stage main PA from the iDR16 as it is located nearer to the amps than the the iDR8?
    The iDR8/PL10 can control levels in the iDR16 if you need it too but it may need a remote preset recall from the iDR8/PL10 after switch on, to ensure the iDR16 levels and settings are where they need to be at the ‘start’

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.