I got strong transient on local outputs when I switch off SQ5

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting I got strong transient on local outputs when I switch off SQ5

This topic contains 16 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of nottooloud nottooloud 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of nwegab
    nwegab
    Participant

Hi,
    I got strong transient (big bang) on local outputs when I switch off SQ5.
    When I mute everything, it is the same.
    The DX168 stagebox handles this situation well.
    Are there any possibilities to solve this issue?
    BR, Gabor

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

turn off the PA first… always…

Profile photo of nwegab
    nwegab
    Participant

Hi SteffenR,
    Yes, it is a very simple solution, and I heard about it several years ago. 🙂
    Unfortunately, it is not always so simple (power outage, installations, etc.) and I ask about the reason, why it is so rough on this mixer, and why not on DX168? I hope you can understand my point of view. I am very satisfied with DX behavior and I suggest to apply a similar solution in mixers.
    It could help with lots of situations, where the customers are not professional users, I could use one switch to switch off the system, etc.
    BR, Gábor

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

maybe you should search the forum again
    we discussed this already many times

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@nwegab

use a proper power sequencer to turn everything on/off
    as a bonus you could get one with transient spikes protection too

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

For just about any install system in a multi use facility a power sequencing system
    is the only way to go. You can get a master unit say in the sound booth and connect it to
    remote units to turn on and off outlying pieces of equipment all with the flip of a switch or turn of a key.

The mixer still should be put into the power down mode before shutting down the system.

Even with a sequencing system some people try to make it harder then it needs to be………I installed a smaller sound system, all components in a single wall mount rack with a keyed power sequencer.
    Go back to the system a year or so later to add some additional equipment, find the sequencer all powered on but the equipment that has front panel power switches all shut off, they said they did not like waiting for the equipment to power up or power down.
    At most in that system the sequence cycle took 30 secs.

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

15 years ago i bought a EPD 420VS Power Distribution/Sequencer. It has 4 20 amp outlets and accommodates 100 amps input directly from the power panel. My KV2 ES FOH system requires 20 amps for each stack, My three EX10 wedges use the third 20 amp output and all of the processing and video gear is the last 20 amp shut down. (I prefer to keep aLL lighting power needs on a totally different panel if and when possible: however never on the Audio/Video circuit) I have never had any problems like the OP has raised. Unfortunately ETA systems, The small high grade company that manufactured the EDP unit, sold out to a bigger company that discontinued the EDP 420S: If you can find one on the secondary market buy it if you can get where you need to go with 4 clean 20 amp outlets and a bullet proof sequencer. This type of device is a “NO BRAINER” for everyone that has a substantial investment in Audio/Video gear.
    HUGH

Profile photo of nwegab
    nwegab
    Participant

As I mentioned the DX168 stage box handles this situation much better.
    What is more the Behringer X32 handles switch off much better than SQ.
    I understand that this problem can’t be solved on already purchased mixers, but the AH engineers should consider this in the future.
    Yes, I can handle it, but it is not fit for this cool mixer.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@nwegab

you still need a power sequencer else you run the risk of causing big problems

AH is doing just fine. the problem is not all users are experienced and knowledgeable enough to do things properly.

if you know what you are doing and never make mistakes then just sequence all the powers ons offs properly yourself
    else buy a sequencer to do it for you

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

You still need a power sequencing system in place or……everyone needs to understand to turn on front of house equipment first, mixer, wireless mics, other input sources and then turn on the the power amps and or any powered speakers.
    Turning the system off is just the opposite, power amp and of powered speakers first and then everything else.

Look up Furman power sequencing equipment.

I wanted to add that a power sequencing system needs to be installed properly with the sound system equipment connected to proper stages of the sequencer.

Profile photo of nottooloud
    nottooloud
    Participant

Are you doing the home screen shut-down procedure?

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

There is a huge difference in the staged processing that is prominent in the SQ desks and a high quality but relatively simple stage box that has no appreciable processing whatsoever. Always follow the SQ “power down protocol”. The first two steps power down the processing granting permission to push the power button to actually shut down the desk. This is a very important procedure to follow for several reasons: There will be no speaker “snap, crack, or pop” until the SQ is actually turned off. in the event you have a sequenced power module (like an ETA ECS3) the 3 second lapse between each shut down that is structured to be in reverse order of the turn on will turn off all connected devices automatically & flawlessly If you will follow the recommended protocol.
    Hugh

Profile photo of ioTon
    ioTon
    Participant

Noise on power on/off

DX has build in relays on outputs.

But i do not understand why the developers saved is up in the SQ – so it has NO build in Relais… =(

greetings,
    dd

Profile photo of ioTon
    ioTon
    Participant

discovert, that Avantis also has build in “Ready relays”

So SQ and Avantis will have different Output stages…

@A&H: are the D/A Converters the same or are in the SQ-Series the cheaper ones?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of JuzzyQLD
    JuzzyQLD
    Participant

Yes this happens …

The GLD, (the last golden console) muted its outputs on the surface. No transients.
    Used a QU one day, bang…
    Discovered that the stage box (ar2412) also doesnt do this…
    So i deliberatly patch all my outputs to speakers through the stage boxes.
    At a festival once, packing up, old mate trying to help unplugs my FOH power feed so he can roll the lead up…. Thank goodness for the GLD!

@allen and heath… Its gotta be a simple fix….please just fix it!

Yeah power down the right way they say….
    They havent worked with students, volunteers etc.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.