HPF (High-Pass Filter) on Mix Busses

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions HPF (High-Pass Filter) on Mix Busses

This topic contains 72 replies, has 43 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of nottooloud nottooloud 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Christian Vogel
    Christian Vogel
    Participant

With our existing (non SQ) mixer I am used to put a 100Hz HPF on monitor wedges. Especially when we have people perform to loops/playbacks on stage it’s very beneficial to get rid of the low end. I was kind of surprised that the SQ doesn’t have HPF on mix-busses (“Auxes”), which almost all of SQs competitors or alternative offerings do have (with the exception of AH-QU 🤔). The GEQ is not a substitute, only a mitigation for the lack of HPF, in my opinion.

Request for essential feature: HPF on all mix-busses and matrix outputs.

Extension 1: As a nice addition, one could have a configurable HPF/LPF on the matrix outputs, in case one needs to improvise a crossover or get rid of the low-end for center-fills. Such filters are commonly implemented using Biquads, and I’d say it would be acceptable to loose two bands of the PEQ for this case, which is more than made up by the GEQ.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I guess I could say ‘get in line’. This is one of the most requested items going back years.

Profile photo of Christian Vogel
    Christian Vogel
    Participant

GCumbee, thanks for the info, but that’s sad to hear.

I’m in the market (and yet undecided) for a mixer with just over the typical 32 channels total (Stage+FOH) within the upcoming month, and GLD is just getting too expensive for me so SQ5+AR2412+0804 would be just the ideal frame size to have: With abundant local FOH-ports and 32Ch on stage.

A lot of the later new digital mixing consoles had “second major release” firmwares significantly increasing their usefulness. But with the dense stacking of digital mixers in AH portfolio, Qu to SQ to GLD to dLive it seems that AH is very cautious to keep a feature gradient between their products — which I understand from a economic standpoint.

But with customers maybe expecting some upgrades as firmware matures I would have hoped that there’s a more explicit communication about upcoming features – except some people posting about a representative having mentioned something in a Youtube video somewhere (which I have read in some of the forums). This would really help me with my buying decision regarding a few minor things.

Profile photo of litti
    litti
    Participant

The lack of HPF on mix outs is the main reason (along with very few others) I’m not selling both my GLD-80 and my Qu-16 and buy a SQ5-6 combo

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Litti. HPF on mix outs is not on GLD or QU. I know not on QU. I dont think on GLD. So what are you gaining? That said GLD and QU are still great consoles. I have an 80 and a 16.

Profile photo of Milow
    Milow
    Participant

+1 for at least switchable HPF/LPF instead of LF/HF-PEQ

Profile photo of GaryW
    GaryW
    Participant

+1

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

also a +1 for HPF/LPF on Auxmixes. I also would love to have more PEQ bands on the busses but I think this would never happen.
    It is also helpful for FX-Sends to Reverbs or Delays. I don’t know the philosophy of A&H why they are simply ignoring helpful features of the ‘companion on the market’. When you cna have such features on digital misers which costs a 1/10 of a SQ6 why can this not also implemented on the SQ? Sometimes it seems that A&H is just bullish. They claim to deliver the best mixers on the market (which all other competitors also says) but are not ready to learn from others? hmm, hmm, hmm.
    (to myself)Ok, stop ranting. The consoles are great sounding in general but there are a lot missing things. So please, A&H make them complete asap.

Profile photo of litti
    litti
    Participant

@gcumbee: the EQ menu on the Gld mix outs lets you choose among HPF/Shelving/Bell on lows (and LPF/Shelving/Bell on highs). I always apply a LPF at 70Hz on all my monitor wedges except the drumfill.

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

I think you mean a HPF at 70Hz;-)

Profile photo of litti
    litti
    Participant

HPF of course! Sorry for the mistake

Profile photo of Wim
    Wim
    Participant

+1 For HPF on mix busses

Profile photo of Danny-Lan
    Danny-Lan
    Participant

+1

Profile photo of zwierzu
    zwierzu
    Participant

HPF filters are absolutely necessary in modern mixing. +1

Profile photo of TonmeisterDaniel
    TonmeisterDaniel
    Participant

HPF filters are absolutely necessary in modern mixing. +1

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.