How would one accomplish this mix split?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions How would one accomplish this mix split?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of arretx
    arretx
    Participant

I want to be able to:

– Send LR Main to output 1&2 on dSnake 1. Easy.
    – Send LR Main to output 3 on dSnake 1. Also easy.

Situation:

We have LR main house speakers in the sanctuary, and we have lobby speakers in two zones on a 70v amp in…go figure, the lobby. Previously we were using an Aux mix to send everything to local output 4 and then into the DSP and then routed to both lobby zones as a single mix, but this requires that we have two mixes. We could copy and paste…I suppose.

Alternatively, I could simply route LR Main to output 3, into the DSP, and over to the lobby speakers.

What I’m going for is the ability to send the LR Main mix to the lobby speakers, AND be able to switch to having two separate mixes, one to LR Main, and one to the Lobby.

Why? To run background music in the lobby from Spotify or whatever input from the computer at the same time the sanctuary hears the LR Main mix.

Best way to achieve this?

Profile photo of Dave Meadowcroft
    Dave Meadowcroft
    Participant

Run the lobby from a matrix. You can then switch in / out the LR or alt music feed at will by feeding those into the matrix by either using the assign buttons to the matrix or the faders for the feeds in.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

on the SQ there is no matrix send from inputs available
    so using a matrix will burn a bus for the background music as well

I would suggest to use matrizes anyway
    since this introduces another level of flexibility I like… 😉

so send L/R and the lobby mix from separate matrix bus

Profile photo of arretx
    arretx
    Participant

Hmm…let’s see…

I have the iMac feeding the SQ via Dante which is patched to a given input. Since we don’t have a stereo configuration, I run a mono signal to the board.

If I send L/R Main to MTX1 and then route MTX1 to the lobby 70v amp, then I have the entire mix including the iMac feed going to the lobby.

But, if I wanted to send the iMac feed ONLY and subtract everything from the stage, I would need to use something like AUX1 sent to MTX2, then control the lobby level from MTX2 which I could drop into layer A alongside everything else.

So I burn two of the three matrix mixes just for this function. Does that sound about right?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

If I send L/R Main to MTX1 and then route MTX1 to the lobby 70v amp, then I have the entire mix including the iMac feed going to the lobby.

But, if I wanted to send the iMac feed ONLY and subtract everything from the stage, I would need to use something like AUX1 sent to MTX2, then control the lobby level from MTX2 which I could drop into layer A alongside everything else.

So I burn two of the three matrix mixes just for this function. Does that sound about right?

You would just use one Matrix and within the Matrix mix select what is feeding it, either the main LR mix an Aux/mix that only contains the music feed.

Another way but still using a single Matrix would be to use two groups with those two groups outputs not routed to anywhere except the the Matrix.
    One group would have every input and maybe FX return assigned to it, the second group
    would only have the music input channel assigned to it.
    Using two groups you could easily put those two group masters on a layer and control the and control the feed depending on the group master that was turned up.
    lobby feed

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.