How transport your SQ ;)

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions How transport your SQ ;)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Hugh Hugh 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Andre S
    Andre S
    Participant

I am the T-800 and I approve this message!

Profile photo of Nemydom
    Nemydom
    Participant

Hi Andre, thanks again for all the amazing videos you keep uploading. I have a suggestion if you don’t mind. I noticed you have a WAVES card in your SQ. Could you make a video, something like “SQ and WAVES cards for beginners”? I mean, I know what the WAVES plugins are, but using a WAVE card is so complicated area. One of the reasons is that most of the related videos designed for people who already know what is DANTE, Sound Grid etc… But I am not a pro sound engineer, but still want to know what it is!!!
    Some related questions:
    1)If I use WAVES SQ card without any other WAVE’s hardware, directly into my computer with WAVEs plugins – is it worth trying? Is the latency gonna be really bad?
    2)Can I use plugins which I already own and use for my DAW? Which extra software do I need to use the plugins live?
    3)Is it possible to see the WAVE’s plugins on the SQ screen? (probably a silly question, I know – but it’s not clear!)
    4)How do you actually use your WAVES card? What WAVE’s software/hardware do you use, for what purposes etc etc.
    5)What other applications are possible if I get a WAVES card for my SQ? Other than using WAVES FX plugins and multichannel playing/recording?
    Many thanks in advance 🙂

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

The pros and cons of using a Waves card needs it’s own thread: It would be beneficial to many folks to be exposed to the possibilities and limitations from both the A & H perspective and best practice recommendations from Waves. I know that they are not always on the same page: when Waves plugins and their world class multi track recording activity is the goal, the optimization of a complete Waves LV1 system is necessary. There is no question about the SQ ability to be the front end pre and A/D converter for tracking: however an appropriate Waves server matched to the predictable tracking load will be necessary to work very well. Questions pertaining to SQ/Waves recording protocols should be directed to the Waves Office in Knoxville, TN (865) 909-9200. The ability to access Waves world class sonic recording will require a much bigger investment that a $500. card: Believe me, I own and thoroughly enjoy a complete Digigrid/Waves LV1 system that is better than the USB protocol available in the native version of the SQ. But the difference may not be enough to warrant the additional expense that will likely be substantially more that the original price of your SQ5.

I use a large Gator suit case that snuggly houses the SQ5 & DX168 along with my Glyph studio HD. It ain’t for every one but it works well enough for me.
    Hugh

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

1) latency is getting to high for insert processing in small venues, but it doesn’t matter to reverbs and delays
    2) Multirack Native and only WAVES plugins working with Multirack above V9
    3) no
    4) every live host is usable, the best alternative I know is Live Professor

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

some additional information
    https://youtu.be/wChlFMJqKCw

Profile photo of Andre S
    Andre S
    Participant

Well, I bought the waves card to record up to 48 channels at 48kHz. I have done this on my 13Inch 2010 MacBookPro many many times by now without a glitch. Since FW 1.5 the 48kHz can be selected also for the USB output but “only” for 32 channels.

What Steffen said is right (I seam to say that a lot 🙂 ). In a lot of cases the latency without waves server will be much to high for live applications. But maybe you want to use it at home to unload some processing stress from you computers CPU. In that case latency is not so critical.

However you can use some PlugIns live, when the roundtrip latency is appropriatly low. To get a feel here is a waves plugins latency list: Wave Plugins Latency List

Have you seen my video on saveing the gig for the guitarplayer ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sp3bwnhk4o )? In that video I inserted a Guitar Amp Sim into a channel. And the result regarding latency were very good. I´m a guitar player myself and had no complains. I tried it in Live Professor and as a stand alone. Both worked, as stand alone it performed better latency wise.

As Hugh mentioned you get the full benefit (including ADC) of waves in their own mixer, but their smallest package (16channels) is already about €6000.

I´m also undecided if it´s worth getting the Waves Mobile Server (€850), the gigabit switch and maybe waves superrack as a host. In the end my SQ sound good as it is, it is a selfcontained unit and gives me no headache regarding added latency due to external plug ins. And I can control everything from my iPad. I loose that ability, if I use waves plugins.

One the other hand I´d really like to try it live and see what the results would be.

Cheers,
    Andre

Profile photo of Nemydom
    Nemydom
    Participant

Thanks, guys for your detailed responses.
    Of cause I’ve seen your “guitarplayer” videos, Andre. Thanks a lot.

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

This thread offers an opportunity for SQ users to share their perspective pursuant to the advantages and limitations of the Waves/SQ protocol. For starters it is very important to be well versed in the actual abilities of the SQ unit you own. IMO it stands alone in the sonic quality, dependability and value comparisons with it’s competitors. There is a direct correlation with internally powered hard drives and the A&H USB recording protocol. It is a mistake to dismiss SQ’s potential as a live performance stand alone recording device. Pristine 24/96K tracks from the SQ pres. provide a wonderful DAW two mix potential that does not require Waves or Dante connections. However for heavy duty studio work the waves system when paired with an SQ5 & DX168 front end is a terrific package.
    1) The DX168 is a perfectly silent, (no fan noise) sonically superior stage box for a tracking room.
    2) A CAT6 line to the SQ eliminates the need for large snakes.
    3) Waves offers three levels of servers that house the plugs and CPU power to function. The middle level “Server One” will work with small ensemble tracking fairly well however the better bet is to go with their best “Extreme Server” (Currently Apx $1,700.) The cooling fan sounds like a jet engine and using a 100 ft. cat6 cable to place the server a safe distance from mics and the console is very important.
    4) The LV1 mixer (Apx $1,500.) opens up the possibility of a couple of 24 inch touch screens for both tracking and DAW mixing; This feature has become indispensable in my studio.
    The primary advantage the SQ package offers is for live shows. The SQ and DX 168 along with a Gliph studio HD all fit in a Gator suit case: good luck getting that type of portability with either a Waves or Dante driven add on recording system.
    Hugh

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.