"How to" Virtuel Soundcheck from SQ Drive video

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions "How to" Virtuel Soundcheck from SQ Drive video

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Nemydom Nemydom 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Andre S
    Andre S
    Participant

Hi guys and girls,

I had an interessting question on my YouTube channel on how to do virtuel soundcheck from the SQ Drive port. So I made a little “how to” video. Maybe you find it interessing, too. And I startet using GIMP for my thumbnails. What a completely diferent world compared to audio…

MIX LONG AND PROSPER

#ShareTheSQKnowledge

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

The single most important factor to be determined with any virtual sound check is the choice between a stereo mix VxS individual multi-track stems. The answer will turn upon the amount of FOH and monitor mixing and processing a remote console will be managing.

1) When FOH personnel are controlling the stage gear placement, FOH/monitoring processing and mixing then Multi-track stems will be necessary for a virtual sound check. Generally speaking, unless the console management is provided by an employed band associate the performance will fall way short of the original recording: and in the final analysis that is the target we are all aiming for.

2) Some performers provide all gear and processing from the stage for their mixing, processing and monitoring. They send a two mix to the console for FOH distribution and in this event a stereo mix is most appropriate. I have found ,with out any reservation, over many years of gigging that no external personnel will know more about the specific processing needs of my gear and my show than I do. The “set it and leave it” protocol I have developed over the past 40 years works well for me however it is certainly not for everyone! I have a stereo mix of a sample of the show to be performed that includes an explanation to the seated audience the need to calibrate the FOH sonic balance with bodies in the seats. The adjustments begin with my voice making the announcement and within two min. the process is completed.
    Hugh

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

I would not call version 2 a virtual sound check
    so you are definitely not the target for this

virtual sound check as we all understand it, is a multitrack recorded show for setup on location without the band

Profile photo of Andre S
    Andre S
    Participant

Yeah, Steffen is right. Having singal on indiviual channels without the band/Perfomer.

One could divide virtuel soundcheck maybe in 3 further: “subcategories”:

1.) You get into a location, set everything up and check before the band arrives
    2.) After soundcheck, when the band is done , you could take some time to refine some settings (Example: vocal eq/deessing without having the singer stress her/his voice longer than needed)
    3) Practice fingermemory,surface setup, trying FX at home

Cheers,
    André

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

A “virtual sound check” is not limited to Multi-track stems providing processing targets for the venue to adjust each channel that will be musically in use at the venue. Sound checks occur in every gig set up and the question is what is the most dependable and efficient method to establish appropriate channel processing for any given gig at the venue.
    IMO internal management of all processing, other than FOH calibration, is far more dependable and efficient when done in the project studio with the SQ5 that captured the tracks and will also be providing the stage mix of the subject gig. I am more than well aware of the process being discussed in this thread and have learned the hard way the following:

1) Subjugating all channel processing to external personnel with a sound check at the venue will greatly reduce the probably of a satisfactory mix.
    2) Calibration of FOH to work well with a stereo track of the show is a much more dependable process that can be well done in the rush of a pre-show sound check.

By virtue of the fact that most of the readers of this thread own or are considering a purchase of an SQ5 the necessity of relegating all performance settings to external venue personnel is optional — not mandatory. Setting up the deck at home well before show time is always a good idea if you have the chops.
    Hugh

Profile photo of ianhind
    ianhind
    Participant

A “virtual sound check” is multiple stems (multitracks) coming down their appropriate channels as they will during showtime. Exactly as they are laid out in your showfile. This allows you to “mix” as though the band is on stage and sending you all mic’s/lines.

Tuning the PA is traditionally just playing 2 track music through the console and cutting/boosting to tailor the PA to what you feel it should sound like, checking phase, delay towers, etc.

With all due respect, they’re nothing alike.

Profile photo of Andre S
    Andre S
    Participant

I´ve seen things you people wouldn´t believe…Sorry, I digress

Yes, I had a few bands with different solutions to get more independence from the soundguy, most prominently mixing IEM Monitoring themselfs.
    And about 5 times or so I would only get a stereo sum of all soundsources, including all FX. I have to say, that the results varied A LOT. From splendid to “oh my god, I´m so sorry, don´t look at me so mad, it´s the bands mix, don´t hurt me…”

But 98% of all bands provide me with single sources that will be combined by me with the help of a mixing desk to get a quality sound that makes the artist happy. And having virtuel soundcheck, defined as mixing a bunch of signals without the need of bothering the the band or even an orchestra, is a really helpful tool for us, the soundguys. And being able to do that with just an SQ5 and a USB stick is simply quite wonderful.

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

A virtual sound check (Or you may choose to call it dialing in a show file on a console) does not have to be a venue based process. The point I am trying to make is this process is far more precise and satisfactory if it is accomplished by the people that tracked and mixed the project in an event where they will be managing the channel processing from the stage. “Tuning the FOH” is a necessary but far less complicated process than venue virtual sound checks.
    I am well aware of the convenience stems cam provide to venue personnel when they are responsible for all of the performance processing however today most shows of any significance are dialed in well before show time and well before the venue sound check. This is particularly true of tricky large track count gigs or “hit & Miss” gigs with questionable skill level personnel running some venue systems. This is the real world sonic handicap that we either live with or choose to avoid.
    Hugh

Profile photo of Nemydom
    Nemydom
    Participant

Would it be possible to do the same with a virtual soundcheck, which was not recorded on SQ? I’ve got some, recorded at 24/96. I put it into Sq drive, in the playback folder. SQ can see/play individual tracks in the stereo mode, but when I select ‘multitrack’, it says: ‘no tracks found’

Profile photo of Nemydom
    Nemydom
    Participant

I’ve done everything as per page 96 of the manual under “Files for multitrackplayback copied from a computer…” – all the files are of the same length/size, in a proper folder, with the correct naming, but it says: Unrecognised file format. The files are wav 24bit 48kHZ, and SQ is in 48khz mode
    Multitrack recording, recorded on the SQ plays just fine.
    What am I doing wrong? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Wich programm do you use to generate these files?
    Maybe these are broadcast wave files…

Profile photo of Nemydom
    Nemydom
    Participant

I downloaded from here:

Multitracks

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.