How to use PAFL for IEM wedge without changing PAFL for main headphone out

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions How to use PAFL for IEM wedge without changing PAFL for main headphone out

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dave Boshton Dave Boshton 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dave Boshton
    Dave Boshton
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve set up so that one person can mix monitors on an iPAD or a laptop with GLD Editor whilst the other person is mixing. Now, there is an option in the config to send IEM mix to headphones. This seems odd, as I can’t seem to mix into IEM strip; however I can listen to the IEM feed on an output from the desk, which includes PAFL’s that I’m triggering on the laptop, so it does not appear that the IEM mix can ever be different from the headphone mix. (Clearly this is a misunderstanding on my part, but I don’t see how it can work so if someone can explain that’d be great.)

Now, the issue comes down to the fact that I don’t really understand the IEM feed, and I’ve read the user guide and it doesn’t seem to be documented well there. So I’ll go for the problem I’m trying to solve.

I want to be able to have two engineers using one GLD80, one mixing monitors using a networked interface and listening on the IEM feed and one mixing front of house on the main desk, using the main headphone out to check things when needed. This works, however if the A1, mixing FOH wants to PFL a channel, that interferes with what is sent to the IEM mix, which therefore gets in the way. So why is it implied that the IEM feed can be different to what is sent to the headphones?

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Dave,

The IEM and Wedge fader strips are both sourced from the PAFL bus. They are not separate buses. They are there for the convenience of a fader control over the monitor level. Their output can be patched to any GLD socket. And their Mute can be automated so that, for example, the IEM is muted when you PFL a mono Aux, and the Wedge is muted when you PFL a stereo Aux.

In a two engineers scenario, the PAFL bus is shared.

Profile photo of Mrvoltz
    Mrvoltz
    Participant

Wouldn’t it be easier to send the monitor mix to another output for your remote A2? If multiple monitor mixes are used you can put them all in a matrix and send that to the A2.

Profile photo of Dave Boshton
    Dave Boshton
    Participant

Indeed. Out of interest, what is the purpose therefore of the routing grid on the IEM/Wedge feed? It doesn’t appear to do anything.

I guess the problem I’m trying to solve is using the IEM/Wedge feed for a remote (from the desk) engineer. And I’m trying to understand what the point in the feed is, if we can’t mix into it and the PAFL bus is shared as the desk implies that it can be very different to the feed into the main headphone out on the surface.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.